1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I use to audition cd players.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kopite, Apr 8, 2003.

1. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right I have a demo set up on saturday to listen to the nad 541, arcam 72 and the marantz 6000 (every shop i went to told me that I should go for one of these)

I`m now wondering what cd`s I should take along to test the systems.

Or to put it another way what types of music would be best.

So far I think white stripes - elephant will be good as will radiohead ok computer but just wondering what other cds u peeps would reccomend

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best recorded albums I have are ...
    The Corrs, any album.
    Dixie Chicks, wide open spaces.
    Lene Marlin, playing my game

and other CD's...
    REM Automatic for the people
    Madonna Ray of Light
    Bjork Debut

3. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got rem out of them lol.

Also thinking flaming lips - Yoshimi might be a good choice seems to cover nearly every level in it

4. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Your ears!

And Massive Attack..................

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Some Film soundtracks ... I like the Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers soundtrack for comparitive listening.

Norah Jones; Crowded House (Best of)

6. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Big rule: Anything that you are pretty familiar with.

For me, when I have changed/upgraded anything, I have used a few discs (some mine;some the wife's) fairly regularly:-

Crowded House...most of the Best of...great sounds
    George Michael-Older..great production
    Billy Joel-Innocent man..quite pure sound
    David Sylivian-Orpheus...difficult for bass
    Faithless-Reverence (great disc..many reasons)
    For a real bass test, try Leftfield..anything but track 5 from Rythmn/Stealth is a killer
    Bonnie Raitt...latest disc

Close your eyes too. It's really helps focus your ears on what sounds are going on.

Finally have fun

7. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    That's the golden rule. You need to be so familiar with a CD that you instantly hear what's different. Otherwise it'll just sound good.

D.

8. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah :D

I know that I should be listening to stuff I know but I mean what types will really strain the system.

I`m thinking that the white stripes are a good choice because of the sheer power.

Flaming lips because of the bass on songs like fight test.

9. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    For down right abuse and hard work to a system, Adam F - Chaos, from the album of that name.....

10. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I guess it depends on what your tastes are, but, I moved away from using just tracks that push a system simply for dynamics, or high impact wow-factor. They are important, but, at least for me, so is the ability for the gear to actually sound like the instrument they are trying to be. Hence, try some simple acoustics, vocals, solos etc to see if a system can do that as well as sounding like a club.

11. aka

aka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree..
    It depends on the music that you like...
    I used to bring
    Fourplay/Incognito (The Greatest hits)for music with fast beat
    Dave Matthews/10000maniacs (unplugged album) for the acoustic music
    linkin park for rock music
    george winston(the best)/saya(unity)/dianakrall(any album)/jacyntha(any album) for jazz/soft litening
    linda rondstand (live with nelson riddle) or nathalie merchant (tigerlilly) for vocal

happy hunting & good luck!!

12. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently demo'ed some speakers and I took listening material that I was familiar with AND that tested the system sonically in some way. For instance, I'd recently been listening to some Fear Factory so I took them along to test out the bass output of the speakers. Also my two favourite classical albums are Beethoven Concerto No. 5 and his 9th Symphony which I listen to a lot, so I took them along to test out the speakers sound staging, imaging and depth.

Try this approach to demoing your CD players.

13. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I just got the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc and it's phenomenal! The sound quality is just stunning... It's a revelation, really - it sounds amazing, but it's also a bit depressing considering how much worse modern recordings tend to sound. Why don't they all sound this good dammit?!

But anyway, it's a great disc for auditioning equipment, particularly if you give it a good thrashing in your current system at home first to get a feel for it.

Other than this, I regularly take discs like the following (all of which I'm intimately familiar with):

Eric Clapton - Unplugged (fantastic intimate live acoustic recording)
    Eric Clapton & BB King - Riding With The King (stunning recording quality with some of the most realistic male vocals I've heard, bar the Chesky disc...)
    Eric Clapton - Reptile (more beautiful Clapton recordings, though some of the songs are a bit annoying :p )
    Buena Vista Social Club (another beautiful acoustic recording, though grander and sonically more complex than Clapton Unplugged)
    Tori Amos - Under The Pink (beautiful, beautiful female vocals, with great piano too; pay special attention to 'Bells For Her' - mmmmm, bliss...)
    Peter Gabriel - Up (great recording with fantastic dynamics and bass)

For heavier stuff, the likes of:
    Nine Inch Nails (specifically Downward Spiral & The Fragile are both excellent, dynamic recordings)
    Rage Against The Machine (the first album is stunning, with great songs and great production - the later ones are inferior)
    The Prodigy - Fat Of The Land (one of the most dynamically challenging recordings ever - great test for dynamics and bass, but play it LOUD)
    Propellerheads - Decksanddrums (good fun and great bass) Orbital - In Sides
    Leftfield - Leftism (i love to crank it with 'Original' :) )
    Massive Attack - Protection, Mezzanine (and now 100th Window too)
    etc etc

For classical, I've found a couple discs in particular are very well recorded and sound beautiful:

Beethoven's 5th, Carlos Kleiber & the BPO on DG, 1969? (beautiful recording, stunning dynamics)
    Tchaikovsky's Ballett Suiten, Mstislav Rostropovich & the BPO on DG, 1979 I think (another beautiful recording)
    among others I can't think of just now...

Some soundtracks make good demo discs, as sounddog says. The recently remastered Star Wars soundtracks are fantastic - the Star Wars opening titles are very nicely recorded and will certainly turn heads if you blast it full volume during your demo (I did this once and the dealer went, "oh yeah, why didn't I think of using that for demos!" :) )

Anyway, that's only the tip of the iceberg (i usually take two 48-disc CD cases with me when I demo!) but I can't think of any more at the moment, nor can I be bothered typing any more. :p

Cheers,

Dunc

14. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your help peeps. i`m gonna get all the cds together tonigh.

I havent got my copy of prodigy fat of the land at thge mom(my mates borrowed it and gone off to the war)

Im gonna take

White stripes - elephant
    radiohead - ok computer, bends and kid a
    Fear Factory - obsolete
    niravana - mtv unplugged
    Savage garden - affirmation(know this album very well so should give me an idea)
    some dance cds taken from a club my brother goes to
    Prodigy - Music for the jilted generation
    Flaming lips - yoshimi
    Disc made from mp3`s
    siouxie and the banshees(let the missus feel part of the experience :D)

I`ve nver done an audition before and I`m a bit worried that i`m gonna seem out of my depth totally and the shop assitants are gonna get impatient. ALso I`m not sure If I`ll actually buy the player there and then will this p!ss them off?

15. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    kopite ... at a good hi-fi shop, they will have allocated enough time for you so that even with little experience of demoing, the assistant won't be rushed. To be honest, if the assistants start getting impatient with you changing your mind and wanting them to swap players backwards and forwards, i'd walk away and go to another store to audition / buy.

You also need to be fair to the store though ... don't go and demo all the players, then promptly go and buy from Richer Sounds, or off the net because its slightly cheeper - you have wasted their time if you do that, they are demoing the kit to you as a service so you buy from them and because the offer that service is why they are more expensive ... don't abuse them or you'll find next time you want to demo something they'll have closed down because of timewasters. Also, if you don't like any of the players ... don't buy them but tell them that you haven't liked them - they may have something else to suggest - and don't leave them hanging saying "i'll be back later" if you don't intend to be. You don't have to buy there and then, but say truthfully if you'll be back or not - or say if you're unsure and going to look elsewhere.

wrt to dunkyboys comments ... i'd think a lot more about what you want to listen to before visiting the shop, 5 or 6 well chosen tracks that you know are going to be a lot more use than endless listening ... have prepared what you want to listen to and don't try to listen to too long a pieces before comparing them - 3 to 4 minutes of a piece is ideal (IMO). Also it's best to listen to one piece on 2 players, then listen to another piece, rather than listening to 2 pieces on one play before trying the other (hope that makes sence). Have some extra pieces as backup for if you are undecided after the 5 or 6 initial pieces.

Also (imo) its also easier to compare 2 players, chose the one you prefer then compare it to the third, rather than trying to compare to all three at once.

One last thing - not sure if anyone has said this already - you need to be aware of what amp and speakers you are listening to the CD player with as this can make a difference to what is a good or bad CD player. If you have an amp already - try to see if you can take that and your speakers along, or get the store to use the same amp and speakers you own. If you don't have an amp already - maybe listen with one amp, decide which you prefer then get them to change the amp and speakers at the end just to confirm your choice.

Hope this helps in your demoing ... just my (admitedly limited) experience.

Vikki

16. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    dunkyboy

That is a great tune:smashin:

Adzman

17. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The player is gonna be a birthday present off my parents so I want to try out first and then tell them so they can buy it.

The store i`m going to is practical hifi.

18. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Love Leftism and Rythmn & Stealth....not a duff track amongst them and for sure you know if your system can do bass !!!!

19. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    That's true.......

Weirdly, i like the "stripped down to the bone" style of Rythmn & Stealth's - Double Flash

Pure raw naked Techno...

That is one serious kickdrum.....& my HGS-18 goes into destroyer mode:devil:

Adzman

20. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im getting some joey negro together as well as some john cutler. My brother has a pile of cds from a club in todmorton he goes to so I`m getting copies