1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I use for my M&K K speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Snippermanden, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a M&K K3 speaker system that I am currently running with a HK AVR2000 Reciever.

Looking for a place to spend som money the reciever is an obvious place. I am very happy with my speakers where the most important factor was size versus sound quality. I have upgraded the K9 sub to a Monitor Audio FB212 sub which packs a bit more punch and actually makes the whole assembly sound much bigger than it really is.

The K3 speakers are small in size but not easy driven all rated at 4 ohms.

I really like the Pioneer range of recievers 2011 and VSA AX10 but not sure if they are optimal for my speakers powerwise?

Should I go for separates? which ones? or are there any integrated recievers that will do the trick?

2. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

From my experience I would recommend the Rotel RSP-1066
    processor and the RMB-1075 power amp.

Alternatively if you have a bit more to spend then go for the
    RMB-1095 power amp.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Conversely if you are looking to spend less money there is a second hand Denon AVC10SE for sale in the classified forum at £510.

I use one of these amps to drive my M&Ks to good effect

4. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What would be the problem with the Pioneer amp and those speakers? I have the K Series, but with 2 VX-100 subs. I have a Denon AVC A11SR amp (which is OK), but I fancied changing it for the Pioneer VSX-AX5i to go with my DV-757Ai.

5. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the NAD T762, it will surely drive 4 Ohms speakers with ease and will supply 2 ohms speakers at peak levels! Mine is Driving a set of KEF TDM THX Certified speakers all at 4 ohms Loads . The Amp is driving them with out any problems and the sound is warm and sweet! Typical NAD AMplification (a complete POWER HOUSE)

Others will surely cut off at low impedance speakers and a shutdown will be the result!!

6. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,158
    You're implying anything other than NAD will shut down?:confused:

I don't think so......

7. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The potential problem is that the M&K speakers are relatively "hard" to drive meaning that their impedance curves are ranging from 4 ohms and below.

Regarding your Denon Amps, they traditionally have more real power than the Pioneer counterparts - not said that the Pioneers are inferior products just that they are not so well suited for some speakers, and perhaps including the M&K range of speakers. I have actually thought about buying the 2011 and a seperate power amp to get the nifty auto setup thingy.

My first thought was to go for HK, NAD or seperates of some kind. Just looking for somebody who had actually tried a given amp with the M&K K3 speakers.

8. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smurfin,
    Yes I admit that I am wrong, their are other brands that supply AV amps which are capable of driving Low impedance speaker, but I can surely say that the List is quite Small. NAD, Harman are the brands that I know off and will surely drive these speakers at ease. Others will, but when reaching reference levels and drived hard for a long period of time they will surely start sounding hard and shut down due too heat build ups within the AMp itself! You must pay a good amount of money to get an AV Amp capable of driving Low imp. speakers.

The Power supply within the AV amp must be capable of driving at least 5 low impedance speakers and the internal electronics within. The NAD T762 is installed with a Massive High Current Holmgren Toroidal Power Transformer which will surely cater for the M&K speakers.

One thing that I would surely do is go and ask for a demostration and let your ears decide for you!

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,158
    Agree with you there...

10. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demos are nice - but small country = limited possibilities for demos :-(

11. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any NAD authorised Dealers? Just try and tell them to lend you a T762 for a weakend and test it out for yourself with the M&K! Here at Malta few are the shops that are equipped with demo rooms, and with your current setup you must be quite accurate before choosing!

12. cfowler

cfowler
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you still have your fb212?

E="Snippermanden, post: 677926, member: 15048"]I have a M&K K3 speaker system that I am currently running with a HK AVR2000 Reciever.

Looking for a place to spend som money the reciever is an obvious place. I am very happy with my speakers where the most important factor was size versus sound quality. I have upgraded the K9 sub to a Monitor Audio FB212 sub which packs a bit more punch and actually makes the whole assembly sound much bigger than it really is.

The K3 speakers are small in size but not easy driven all rated at 4 ohms.

I really like the Pioneer range of recievers 2011 and VSA AX10 but not sure if they are optimal for my speakers powerwise?

Should I go for separates? which ones? or are there any integrated recievers that will do the trick?[/QUOTE]

13. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    You would be best starting your own thread as this one is 12 years old.