1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what should i upgrade?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by watchinthewheel, Oct 3, 2005.

?
  1. ram (to 2 gb)

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. processor (to 3ghz+)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. the video card (overkill isnt it?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. hard drives (to a faster version, a raptor or something)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. soundcard (x-fi?)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. other (please post what)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been tinkering with my pc for a while now upgrading one thing at a time but im sick of it, im thinking of doing a single upgrade that will last a while. my current system is:

p4 (775) 3ghz
    1gb ddr ram
    nvidia 7800gt (overclocked)
    audigy 2
    4 unimpressive hard drives, not raptors or anything just standard

im not sure what to get next? do you think its worth getting 2gb of ram? or a 3+ghz processor, i didnt think either of those would be pushed yet? am i wrong? I have only just upgraded the video card so thats pretty ok.

im going to using my pc for everyhting you can use a pc for, work, games, videos, and anyhting else i can think of.

thanks for any suggestions :thumbsup:

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    What problems are you having with it?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. Marvt74

Marvt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd say it was fine but if you had money burning either the sound or extra ram

4. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Get a Raptor, you won't regret it....I have one and I love it....you get very quick load times during games...also you do need an extra 512Mb of Ram if you want to push you 7800GT to the max..., especially if you plan on playing at resolution above 1024*768...os first upgrade hard drive,. next upgrade ram...

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Neither.

just give £50 to Cancer research or something rather than just upgrade for the sake of it.

You'd be amazed how good you will feel afterwards

6. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for the not replying i forgot i posted :rolleyes:

anyway. i have bought a new mobo and gpu as i said unfortunatly i didnt think it through properly and forgot that ddr2 isnt the same as ddr! which means a memory upgrade is a no-brainer, shame but true, this upgrade is costing a fortune! however thats seems to be what you would all upgrade so its not that big a deal. im planning on getting some far far faster ram but sticking with 1 gb. Im getting it from ocz a well known brand so when i need to upgrade i can match the pair easily, i made the mistake of forgetting that last time and i had so many crashes it was untrue.

im not having any problems at all with my system, its just that in order to upgrade my graphics card (from a 9600) which was badly needed i had to upgrade eveything else, by the time i had upgraded everyhting i needed to to get the card to work i figured i may as well make it a full upgrade to ensure i dont have to tinker for a year or so.

to Marvt74 who suggested a soundcard upgrade, is that worth it? to me my audigy 2 sounds fantastic, far better than a hi-fi at 3 or 4 times the price, is there a huge difference in the x-fi cards?

anyway, thanks for all the replies and votes :thumbsup: