1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what should i upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by cjrob, May 22, 2005.

1. cjrob

cjrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I have just registered so go easy :hiya:

my System is currenty
    NAD 370 Amp
    Marantz 63SE CD Player
    Eltax Symphony 6 Speakers

Cable talk speaker cable and Cambridge Audio Interconnects (Pacific I think, cost about £30)

I am looking to upgrade but I am not sure where to start, I think the Amp is good enough quality just now (I upgraded this from another NAD 304 a few years ago) but I am not sure if I should spend money on a new CD player or new speakers. Budget is about £500 but again, will I notice a marked improvment is quality over my current setup or should I be looking to spend a but more?

I have also been looking into adding a sub to give the music a bit more meat, I have a prety decent car stero setup up and i find my home stereo is missing the bass my car is able to provide, again any advice would be appreciated.

I mainly listen to music so Home theatre is not important to me just now.

thx people :smashin:

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Upgrade the speakers first, best way to choose is listen to a few but I can say for certain that I'll be buying some Kef Q5s when I move house....

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    EPOS ELS3 standmount speakers £200
    Ruark Vita100 active sub from www.bkelec.com £200
    Atacama SE6 speaker stands £100

There you go. Should get a lovely sound from that lot. The Ruark in particular will give you loads of good quality bass extension and will help the stereo image/soundstaging of the Epos's, which, imo are one of the best standmount speakers available for under £500

4. Kaldison

Kaldison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I use a pair of Eltax Symphony 5's on my AV setup, (don't know how similar they are to your 6's) but whilst I find them quite reasonable for movies, I once tried them on my audio gear and they were terrible! I had a pair of B&W 601's at the time for stereo use and although they were the same price, they were far superior! (especially in the base department), so perhaps thats the way to go!
    I'd also look at your interconnects, I had some cambridge pacifics lying around once and compared them to the ones I was using at the time – Black Rhodium Rhythm's (£45) and whilst I couldn't hear much difference swapping from one to the other, I left them on and found the sound really harsh after long listening periods
    You should be able to get a big improvement with a £500 budget