What should I upgrade next - Speakers or AV Receiver?

Jester1066

Don't try to take the credit for my idea!:nono:
I wouldn't dare do such a thing. It's a simple case of "great minds thinking alike" 不不不

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't dare do such a thing. It's a simple case of "great minds thinking alike" 不不不
It is interesting, though, how people post up queries regarding upgrades, but then once they provide pictures of their layout it all makes sense why it doesn't sound as good as they hoped.

We still don't know the dimensions of the room as the OP hasn't provided them, but I would've never had the screen + LCR on that wall, it just wouldn't feel right.

Jester1066

It is interesting, though, how people post up queries regarding upgrades, but then once they provide pictures of their layout it all makes sense why it doesn't sound as good as they hoped.

We still don't know the dimensions of the room as the OP hasn't provided them, but I would've never had the screen + LCR on that wall, it just wouldn't feel right.
He has provided dimensions (they're at the bottom of Post #17). My own living room is not too dissimilar in size 3m (w) x 4.57m (l) - I have my TV on the short wall as I have a door on one long wall and a door & window on the other long wall. My living room leads straight out to the garden (hence the 2 doors).

I actually plan on getting a 110" screen to drop down in front of the TV. So it can be done (and done well). Granted I don't have a PC in same room though.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
He has provided dimensions (they're at the bottom of Post #17). My own living room is not too dissimilar in size 3m (w) x 4.57m (l) - I have my TV on the short wall as I have a door on one long wall and a door & window on the other long wall. My living room leads straight out to the garden (hence the 2 doors).

I actually plan on getting a 110" screen to drop down in front of the TV. So it can be done (and done well). Granted I don't have a PC in same room though.
Apologies to the OP - you're right.

So does this mean that, technically, they could move the HC 180 degrees as (we!) suggested?

I just had another thought - power sockets. Are they mostly at that end of the room, hence why it's set up the way it is?

dashfield

Thanks for the suggestion but its not going to happen. That would mean moving my desk to the other end of the room and staring at a wall all day, whereas where it is as the moment I get a nice view out the windows and across the fields. Thats more important to me that a perfect sounding home cinema.

I totally take onboard your points and Ive moved the LR speakers much lower and seeing that sounds.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'It is interesting, though, how people post up queries regarding upgrades, but then once they provide pictures of their layout it all makes sense why it doesn't sound as good as they hoped' - and apparently spending more money on new kit will resolve the issue :)

Not a dig at the Opp just an observation borne out by 40 years trying to help folk out with HIFi and AV systems!

Joe

Hoku

Similar to points made already, but whats happening to your front L&R speakers in their current position, is that any bass energy from them is being compounded by the corner horizontally AND the ceiling corner, so youre getting all sorts of reverb there: essentially the same signal bouncing off several boundaries, with numerous echos reaching your ears at slightly different times.

Our hearing is extremely sensitive to time delays, because we use those time delays to triangulate the source location of sounds.

Plus, as mentioned, the height of your L&R are competing with Atmos speakers.

We all have to work within limitations of the rooms we intend to use, but some compromises can really limit the end results significantly.

Ideally, tweeters of your main L&R speakers should be at ear height when seated.

Actually Im less concerned about your centre speaker. I find with my Rubicons, that their dispersion both horizontally and vertically is vast: one of the reasons why DALI recommend no toe-in at all with their speakers.

dashfield

I know having a different layout in the room might makes sense on paper for the a better cinema set up, but I looked at lots of different layouts before building the room and I chose what works best as both a home office and home cinema.

Obviously that meant some compromises had to be made to accommodate both, but its been like this for a year and Ive generally been really happy with it. Like I said its only occasional I feel the sound could be better and now I know the speakers are too high Ill make sure I put them lower when I watch films.

I gave it a go tonight and it sounded good, but I still need to do some more calibration and testing as I still think the mid range is lacking at times.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I know having a different layout in the room might makes sense on paper for the a better cinema set up, but I looked at lots of different layouts before building the room and I chose what works best as both a home office and home cinema.

Obviously that meant some compromises had to be made to accommodate both, but its been like this for a year and Ive generally been really happy with it. Like I said its only occasional I feel the sound could be better and now I know the speakers are too high Ill make sure I put them lower when I watch films.

I gave it a go tonight and it sounded good, but I still need to do some more calibration and testing as I still think the mid range is lacking at times.
Unless it's a dedicated HC build from the ground up, most rooms are a compromise and you just try and establish what your priorities and compromises are.

You obviously decided on your layout made through your own personal preferences, and that is absolutely fine.

Hopefully, this Thread has been useful to you because, at the very least, you can try and get your Front L&R lower, in line with your Centre and possibly your Centre orientated horizontally.

This might be all you need to get the sound you're looking for and, potentially save you spending any money. So it's win-win!:)

Keep us informed please.

dashfield

Thanks, its definitely been helpful. I will make some changes to bring the front speakers more in line with each other and also do some manual calibration.

Ill also think about changing the MA to Dali Opitcons to match the centre as well. Not new ones but if I can find a good price on some used ones it wouldnt be much investment. Then maybe think about changing my amp next year when perhaps prices and stock have stabilised a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom