1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I replace my Philips 9617 with ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sonofmoth, Mar 21, 2003.

1. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Currently under consideration.

Sony Q80
    JVC HD
    Panasonic (possibly but what model)
    anything else including rear projection or plasma.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a 9527 ???

Great Features, including dark bars ! :laugh:

Only joking :devil:

PaulJ

3. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no, my engineer told me to steer clear of Philips. Need to talk to the retailer to see what he suggests.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im hoping to get my 9527 replaced, but the retailer wants to try changing the tube now, to get rid of the dark bars, i think! Its hard work getting anything out of them, one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing.

I do like the look of the FQ80 though, doesn't seem to be too many problems with them yet. Only trouble is, if I can exchange they will probably charge me store price as i bought mine in store, website id £400 cheaper !!

Might sell the car and go for the 40" loewe :rotfl:

Paul

5. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm also liking the look of the Hitachi PD3000 series of plasmas. Sexy or what ?

6. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    grrrr, wish i had a few grand to spare. :devil:

might register as a medicine tester :D

7. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Can only comment on Panasonic and Sony

Had a PB50 , well actually four PB50's in 14months .
    It's not a bad TV , the picture is great with DVD's , you get progressive scan for NTSC dvd's , has dts and dd5.1 if you need it . Also has all the fancy PIP,POP,PIT ,two tuners etc etc
    two large adjustable shelfs , three scarts(2 rgb)

but the main problem for me was the dirty screen and poor picture on RF and bad Sky channels .

Now the FQ80 is just soooooo much better in terms of picture , even RF is almost perfect !. DVD playback is computer monitor standard , sky is so much better also
    you get all the fancy bells and whistles like the panny plus more !
    the shelfs aren't adjustable but you can't have everything

oh and it look's fantastic whilst the panny looked a bit dull

8. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers Mansell, I agree the Panny's don't look the best but did seem pretty well spec'd (at least on paper but from my experience with Philips that's not worth much).

9. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +631
    Hi sonofmoth

I have had the Loewe Aventos 3981 ZW for a few days now and am very pleased with it; the picture quality is great, no black bars and a very clean 100 Hz picture (even with football).

The tube is the same as the Philips 32PW9527 (W76ERF042X044) only Loewe have managed to get better geometry and a generally better picture in every department when compared to the Philips. I have Sky Digital and a Pioneer 454 DVD player connected via RGB, and have never seen them look better, after adjusting the picture settings using the THX set-up guide on Terminator 2 (every manufacturer seems to have the contrast and colour set too high).

Another thing you mentioned was the build quality, in my opinion it is very good and looks classy (I have the silver version), I did not buy the stand, which is cheap and wobbly, as I have my own stand.

The connections are great, 3 scarts, all do composite & SVHS, 2 do RGB and 1 does component, plus 1 side input for composite & SVHS. It also has L&R audio out (2 phonos) headphone socket & 1 audio in via a minijack.
    It also has some unique upgrade options that plug in the same way as upgrading a PC; a VGA card is one of them.

Overall I think it is much better, though be warned it does everything in a different way to other manufacturers, the entire manual is displayed on the TV, it is similar to using windows on the PC and you really need to explore this to get the full potential of the TV, but once you get used to the differences, it is simple. You will also find it has some very useful features such as being able to turn off the screen when listening to radio channels on SKY, Picture in Picture (twin tuner) etc.

Finally, the only way the Philips was better, was with the sound, although the Loewe is good, I think the Philips was the best sounding TV I have ever heard.
    And one more thing, I have had the Sony 32FQ75 (Scrolling black bars) the Sony 32DX100 (Ridiculously bad geometry) and the Philips 32PW9527 (Vertical black bars) and can honestly say that the Loewe is much better than any of them, and has no apparent faults.

mij
    P.S. it comes with a 2 year warranty that can be extended to 5 years for £169