1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I put beneath my speakers/stands?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jim Robson, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    My flat is about 100 years old and has wooden floors beneath the carpet and underlay. Unfortunately it's quite difficult to find places that are level and don't have gaps/loose boards etc. What would be the best solution to overcome this? At the moment, I have flat, round, 18" diameter 'stepping stones' with the main floor-standing, front speakers resting on these, via spikes. The centre and rears also sit on these courtesy of speaker stands. Should I stick with this idea (which seems OK to me) or should I screw wooden 'plates' to the floor (on top of the carpet) and let the speakers/spikes rest on these?

What would the sonic benefits of wood v stone be? As the rear speakers are large, high and heavy I need a stable platform for them.

Regards

Jim [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Jim Robson (edited 16-03-2001).]

2. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Your solution is pretty good, but if it were me I'd cover the stepping stones in a carpet material and staple the excess material on the underside [square "stones" would have been easier and preferably the off cuts from your original carpet] and screw them to the wooden floor with some big 4" wood screws. But makes sure you are happy with their position before fixing them to the floor.

Fill your speaker stands with sand or shot if possible, and if I understand correctly that your centre is on the ground or on a stand, you should really re-position it on top of your telly or as close to the underside as possible.

Not sure stone is a good idea, I'd guess after a period of use the spikes would tend to settle unevenly into the crumbling stone, also the stone would have to be quite thick and this would probably lift your tweeters on the main floorstanders higher than designed, so much that it might affect your listening pleasure if you listen to a lot of 2 channel music. Also if your floorstanders port the bass through the botton of the cabinet, you may find a totally different type of bass if you use a stone base.

3. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Radioactive_Man!

Thanks for the info. I did buy square stones to begin with but they were either too big or too small. The round ones were a perfect size and colour. I hadn't thought of fixing the stones to the floor but that's a rather good idea. They are 18" in diameter and 1.5" thick bought from Wickes. Yes, it does look a bit industrial/garden centre but, the rest of the place does too!

I have a 56" Toshiba TV and it's 5ft 3" tall. The centre speaker sounds odd away up there so I have it on a 24" stand in front of the TV just below the bottom of the screen. I did fill the stands with kiln-dried sand (also from Wickes).

I have B&W 605 S2's as main speakers (built-in subs) and there are no ports underneath them as far as I can see so no problems there. The centre is an LCR 6 S2 (which, out of necessity is too close to the TV really) and the rear side and rear centre surrounds are 603 S2's which are perched (rather precariously) on 30" Target stands. (Before you ask I haven't yet purchased my DTS-ES/THX-EX amp but have everything ready to roll when I do). The tweeters on the rears are at ear height but only when I'm standing!!

Regards

Jim [​IMG]

PS I misread your profile for a moment and thought you were into "Overclocking Women!" I thought this was a brand new technique I'd never come across!!

PPS Where are you in Scotland? I'm living in Hove but hail from the Granite City.

4. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a friend also with floorboards and what he did was.. with the speaker spikes mark the carpet and then screwed into the carpet/floorboard using chunky philips crossheads(not too long because of pipes etc) and then the spikes would rest in the crosshead, alternatively try coins.
    Philmate.

------------------
    "Beware the Wok child"

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That is another solution phil, but as he said he has a problem with loose or widely spaced floorboards, so he has to use the "stepping stones" to create a more solid medium.

It think it is going to be a nightmare when he get's a sub, as the low frequencies are gonna make the boards dance a little.

6. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oops! I seem to have created the impression that my floor is a complete wreck, wind whistling round my ankles and that I'm about to fall throught the gaps etc! This isn't quite so. I just found that when I'd chosen the ideal position for one speaker and then measured and placed its opposite number I'd hit a gap, join or an unstable one. I suppose I'll just stick with what I have now or I can pull up the carpet and secure/level the floor boards underneath the locations where the speakers go.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Regards

Jim [​IMG]

PS I actually have TWO subs, as each of my B&W 605 S2's has one built in! They sound rather good too!

[This message has been edited by Jim Robson (edited 18-03-2001).]