Question What should I look out for when buying second hand speakers.

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by notting, Sep 19, 2017.

1. notting

notting
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've decided to buy a set of second hand 5.1 speakers to go with my Denon 1911.

What should I look out for in terms of wear and tear and problems with the speakers?

Thanks!
    JT

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Look for obvious damage to the cones, i.e holes or dents, or damage to the cabinet. Then listen to how they sound by connecting to an amp and play something. If they look in good condition and sound good then all should be ok.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,250
    The condition of the SURROUNDS, and when I say surrounds, I don't mean speakers. I mean that rubber or foam ring that attaches the actual cone to the frame. Foam based surround rings can literally disintegrate over time. Though newer speakers might be better. Rubber (butyl rubber) rings typically do not have a problem.

If the surround rings feel crumbly, gritty, or has literally crumbled, you need to get the speakers VERY cheap. New Rings can be installed, but it is not free, though for good speakers, pretty reasonably priced. If you are handy, you can buy the rings yourself and install them. There are several videos on YouTube demonstrating how to replace the Surround Rings.

Steve/bluewizard