1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I look for in a sub ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by titanax, Jun 17, 2003.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What should I look for in a sub ? I guess power is important, but how do I know if the sub I buy can drive my speakers?

Any pointers?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The sub won't actually be driving your speakers,but will be reproducing the bass frequencies they may not be able to handle on their own.
    The crossover between main speakers and sub will be set via your AV processor/receiver,and is usually at around 80Hz on most people's systems.

In terms of what you should look for.....
    Bass extension,tightness of response,power output at low frequencies....there's a long list of criteria,not least of which is accpetability to other members of your household or neighbourhood!

If you give an idea of what sort of budget,and system it would be partnered with,there's lots of people here who can help.

3. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok then..this is my setup:

YAMAHA RX-530
    PIONEER DV-355
    TANNOY 609s & 603s

This is my setup. As you can see, it can be considered entry level. So I do not need a monster sub. I think room size is also important.

My room measures 2.7m(w) x 3.6m(l), hence I don't want a sub that can become a coffee table!

Any suggestions ?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You'll find that pretty much every manufacturer has their protagonists here,ranging from REL,SVS,Velodyne etc to M&K and B&W.
    It really does come down to trying several and seeing which works best in your room with your system,as each manufacturer has not only a range doubling as coffee tables,but compact models also.
    I have a REL q200,which is a sealed cabinet(i.e.infinite baffle)design with which I am quite happy,but in my case the choice was limited by the constraints of a 250 yr old house,which wouldnt work well with a Velodyne HGS18!
    You may well find that something like Velodyne's VX10 is suitable,or one of the compact RELs,or as IanJ was alluding to,an SVS sub.