What should I know about buying PS3 from US?

Hi guy's,

Temptation is very high and I can’t hold anymore and considering to buy PS3 from US :devil:, if I will get reasonable price, of course.

I believe there are few peeps around who already bought PS3 from US and therefore I would like to ask advice: what should I know before buying it from US? Is there any kind of tips you could give me?

Any advice and information would be much appreciated :thumbsup:.

Thanks in advance.

Indiana Jones

As with any imported console the warranty wont be valid in the UK so if it goes wrong you have next to no chance of getting it sorted so are you prepared to loose the money?

Also, it is highly likely it will get caught by customs on entry into the UK so expect to pay another £60/70 so factor that into the price.

As with any imported console the warranty wont be valid in the UK so if it goes wrong you have next to no chance of getting it sorted so are you prepared to loose the money?

Also, it is highly likely it will get caught by customs on entry into the UK so expect to pay another £60/70 so factor that into the price.

But if something goes wrong i still will be able take it to service center and repair it, of course they will charge for it.... so i won't loose all money...

And what if I’m going to ask seller to mark it as low value package? I know some peeps doing it when buying goods from US and then if package caught by customs you need just pay "few" quid’s :rolleyes:.

Indiana Jones

But if something goes wrong i still will be able take it to service center and repair it, of course they will charge for it.... so i won't loose all money...

And what if I’m going to ask seller to mark it as low value package? I know some peeps doing it when buying goods from US and then if package caught by customs you need just pay "few" quid’s :rolleyes:.
They could flat out refuse to repair it because its not ment for sell in the UK, remember Sony are very funny about importing.

Also, I would not recommend that you have the package marked down to low because this seems to attract customs and if they decide to open it you will then need to provide proof of the value and all this will do is slow down the delivery, much better to put a reasonible amount on it and just cross your fingers.

S

SmugMunkey

Well buying a US console has worked out very nicely for me. There's no need for a step-down as you are probably aware, which is a nice bonus, and the current exchange rate makes the price all the easier to swallow.

I had the sender mark mine as a gift, and the contents as "used toy" with the value at $100 and it arrived a couple of weeks later with no fees or charges whatsoever... this is definately a best case scenario though.

A tip for avoiding customs charges is to have the seller wrap the PS3 in Christmas wrapping paper, inside a plain brown box, so if customs decide to check the contents they will be less likely to rip open the wrapping paper and find out what's really in there, and assume it is the cheap (but heavy) gift it has been decalred as. Also ask the seller not to plaster the shipping cost on the box as this will add to any customs charges shuold they be applied.

If you don't fancy that you can be upfront about it, but expect to pay around £70-£100 in customs fees.

It's up to you really, but having been lucky myself i'd say go for it :thumbsup:

John

There's no need for a step-down as you are probably aware

:confused: Are you saying that there is no need for step-down power converter? If so, how it's possible???

Wasn't aware of it, sorry :oops:.

S

SmugMunkey

Yup, it has a switching PSU inside, like the PSP, so you can plug it straight into the UK mains. Mine is sitting at home now, plugged straight into the wall.

John

Yup, it has a switching PSU inside, like the PSP, so you can plug it straight into the UK mains. Mine is sitting at home now, plugged straight into the wall.

John

It's very good news indeed mate, thanks for sharing :smashin:.

Andy

BTW what you can say about its Blu-Ray capability? Can PS3 compete with proper Blu-Ray players?

Sorry for off topic :).

Cheers,

Andy

Could anyone else share their experience buying PS3 from US, please?

:lease:

fishfash

I got one from the eBay US site. It arrived a few weeks later and worked for a week and then stopped playing demos from the HDD and the drive is also knackered.

I'm gonna be sending it to another forum member to have a look at it.

It's really just pot luck, I think I was very unlucky as the warranty sticker from the PS3 was missing, although the seller denies all knowledge of that.

The question is would I go through this again, ? = yes.

I got one from the eBay US site. It arrived a few weeks later and worked for a week and then stopped playing demos from the HDD and the drive is also knackered.

I'm gonna be sending it to another forum member to have a look at it.

It's really just pot luck, I think I was very unlucky as the warranty sticker from the PS3 was missing, although the seller denies all knowledge of that.

The question is would I go through this again, ? = yes.

I read your thread, sorry to hear it, very bad luck :(.

BTW what you can say about its Blu-Ray capability? Can PS3 compete with proper Blu-Ray players?

Sorry for off topic :).

Cheers,

Andy
Yes it can compete with the UK samsung player. The only thing I'm waiting for to be delivered is the remote which will make things at lot easier then the controller.

I had the sender mark mine as a gift, and the contents as "used toy" with the value at $100 and it arrived a couple of weeks later with no fees or charges whatsoever... this is definately a best case scenario though.
Is it reliable to seller, isn't it affecting postage insurance? I mean if something goes wrong and it's lost or damaged and it is value marked as $100 only, seller won’t be able to get full refund from Delivery Company? Or is it possible to insure it fully with Delivery Company and then just declare $100 value for customs? Just not sure how it's works so want to clarify!

Korum

If you import a PS3, declare it at the rrp of the version you buy and get it marked as a gift, it just isn't worth the lottery of trying to get it through customs marked down in price.I bought a PS3 recently and the seller marked it as $600 and it flew through customs, I had to pay £77 but that's what I expect to pay when I import hardware, it's very nice if you can dupe customs and not pay VAT but if it goes wrong you could end up paying upto another £50.

D

Deleted member 92943

Is that all you pay in custon charges then on a PS3? £77

I thought it was ALOT more than that

My mate who is going on holiday with me next month to Orlando wants to get a PS3. I reckon for the ammount he would be spending, it's not worth the risk.

Have you seen this bundle at Wal Mart.com

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/add_bundle_to_cart.do?qty=1&path=0%3A2636%3A413799%3A553134&product_id=5303666&list1=1.5272701&list8=8.5366728&list2=2.5366727&list7=7.5366727&list9=9.5334956&list4=4.5272721&list4=4.5272720&list4=4.5272722&list4=4.5013174&list4=4.5272754&list4=4.5013162&list4=4.5334376&list4=4.5334371&list4=4.5272756&list4=4.5334370&list5=5.5222930&list6=6.5400358&priceUpdate.x=36&priceUpdate.y=0

PS3 (60gb) 2 Blu-Ray movies, 8 games, carry case, 2 extra controllers and memory card adapter for $1432.00. That's not bad at £730

How much is the retail cost of the 20GB PS3 on it's own? I am sure it was $500 which worked out at £255. Add £70 customs tax and £325 isn't bad.

At that price, even i may be tempted. I wou;dn't be able to sneek it in my suitcase so i would have to pay the £70 customs charge

Is that all you pay in custon charges then on a PS3? £77

If it's marked for $600 which is about £305 then you should pay about £54 (VAT - 17.5%), not sure if they charging anything on top of it, maybe some kind of handling fee or so which is probably another few quid’s, not too sure, though :rolleyes:.

Back in a day I phoned custom office regarding all this stuff, but cant remember, of my head, what they said :oops:.

D

Deleted member 92943

TBH that's not a bad price the for a US PS3. I am tempted but not sure whether it's worth the risk

G a f f e r

Re : buying from abroad...can I just see if I've got this right please?

A jap PS3 may have content restrictions, so it's best to go for a US/Canada one.

Of the 2 models, the 60Gb has wi-fi and an hdmi connection (so this would be the best option?)

If we're then talking about a US 60Gb....buy from ebay.com not ebay.co.uk?

On ebay.com, the prices I've seen range from $780 to well over $1000 (only show items willing to ship to UK and then look at "completed listings"....cheapest I saw was $780).

So if you're lucky and get one for $780, you'll then need insured shipment to UK....which I've seen for $100 4-6 days insured

That's $880 so far.

.....which is £416 at today's rates.

Now add the average customs charge of £80 ish

£496 so far

Now add £4 for a decent 3A lead (maplins/RS components/ebay)

So that's £500 (at best)----- for a £425 console with no warranty, but which you do get 3 months early (and can always try and sell on at March if you really want a UK one :) at a later date).

Is all the above a fair estimation or am I completely out here? (may help people decide if they can see some solid figures from people.....the "selling it on later" is definitely an attractive proposition).

Indiana Jones

Of the 2 models, the 60Gb has wi-fi and an hdmi connection (so this would be the best option?)
The 20Gb also comes with an HDMI connection.

G a f f e r

The 20Gb also comes with an HDMI connection.
aaah, sorry, didn't know that.

I have wi-fi at home so the 60Gb would still be what I consider though (unless there is a cheap way to add wi-fi to a 20Gb one?)

....the 60Gb wouldn't matter as if anyone did take the plunge, it'd probably be more cost effective to upgrade to a 250Gb drive anyway)