What should I have done with this scene?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Steve Zissou, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Steve Zissou

Steve Zissou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Was out and about, and as usual, had the camera with me. I remembered a small church not far from where I live that might make a nice photo.

I loved the sky, but if I kept the lens at 17mm, I get that annoying walkway in the shot, and the church is too small (it was built in 1053) to really see.

[​IMG]

I zoomed in a little and I though it was ok, but I think it still lacks something. I really thought this church with the grass path up to it could make a nice photo, but I'm either really terrible at composition, or am being too picky!

[​IMG]

The day was so clear and sunny, I quickly jumped out the car to capture some of it (shame there's too much road in the shot!). I took a couple of this scene, with the road off to one side or another, but nothing worked (I was loosely trying to make it look like the road ended in the tree!)

[​IMG]

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I think you are being picky:)

If you wanted to apply the rule of thirds, or have a play with your crop tool you could create more visually arresting framing but the basic images as taken are good.(IMHO). The church being dead centre is probably not doing you any favours but that can be fixed by Cropping
    This kind of image would benefit from a Polarising filter though but shooting Raw and playing with exposure setting could just as easily give the colours a richer hue

3. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    With the first, I don't know what you want me to look at ? You have various good elements that you can use. You just need to lead the eye more.

What I would have done was got closer to that fence and maybe used some DoF to have the fence leading a line towards the church.

The second is fine if it could only have the clouds from the first.

The last one is fine for me. :smashin:

4. grantsteve

grantsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think nos. 1 and 3 have got some potential here - they are however IMO lacking some foreground interest.

I'd have been tempted to get up closer to the wooden walk way and hand rail and position that on the left hand 'third' of the shot - using this as a lead in line to the church and the horizon which I'd have tried to place on one of the horizontal 'thirds' - probably about 2/3rds the way up the shot (1/3rd sky, 2/3rds field)

The middle shot doesn't do much for me really, but could also benefit from putting the objects in the scene (the track and the church) on third lines.

The last is the best compositionally I think, at least as far as the rule of thirds goes, but it needs some foreground interest. White lines on the road may have worked.

Don't be too hard on yourself though, these are pretty good as they are. :)

5. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Just noticed some nice shadows on the first image on the rail. Just need to get closer. :smashin:

6. Steve Zissou

Steve Zissou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for all the comments, I'm glad a part of it is me just being picky.

Senu, I had my polarizer on and set correctly, but I zoomed in, rather than position myself nearer, so I lost a little of the effect. I also shot in RAW, so can play with the settings a bit.

I've taken a few shots of each scene, from different angles etc, so I may have something that works better at home. I also took one of the scene behind me on that tree one. It's basically the road twisting off into the background. I thought it might be one to lead the eye, so I'll tweak it and upload if I can.

Again, thanks all for you comments, it really does help :)