1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I go for?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cdlse, May 26, 2003.

1. cdlse

cdlse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    want home cinema, but already have a DVD player so I really do not want to purchase a new 'all in one' pack.

I have around £300 ($450?). My local hi fi shop recommends:

A Pioneer (I want a compact system)
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=1601&taxonomy_id=62-98

With Yamaha speakers:
    http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/speakers/package/ns-p230/index.php

Not knowing much, do people think this sounds good? The speakers seem to have more power than the receiver - does this matter?

If not I was going to bin the DVD and buy an all in one for the same price as the above.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1194

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The Pioneer / Yamaha combo will almost certainly sound better than the Sony DAV system, and will be more flexible if/when you want to upgrade later for any number or reasons.

Would also be worth looking at the Yamaha 430 / 5540 amp to go with the speakers at around £180 for the amp from Richer Sounds.

Vikki

3. cdlse

cdlse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I have the Richer Sounds catalogue in front of me. Unfortunately, with my DVD, Video and Sky Receiver, there is not much space in the old tv cabinet for the Yamaha. Which is why I thought I'd opt for the slim Pioneer!

Nice to know that I can rule out the Sony. Looks nice, but I guess that distracts from the sound!

4. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i had the same problem with space so opted for the slim pioneer with slim dvd as well.Unfortunately i find myself upgrading already (a year) as the amp isn't powerful enough for my taste.

5. cdlse

cdlse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    newbie265,

By 'isn't powerful enough for my taste', do you have loud taste or was it not even good at normal levels? My room is about 5m x 6m, and have neighbours on the side of thin walls (!), so would not probably crank it up.

What are you looking to replace yours with?

6. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well its only 5x30 watts and and the more power the finer detail even at low levels .I watch a lot of music dvds so i want a bit extra.admittedly the speakers that came with my pioneers system are a problem as sats aren't too good for music.I'm looking at the pioneer 811 and the yamaha 640 and mission m73 pack.