What should I go for Thomson 27"LCD/Sony 23"LCD

P

Plugman

Basically looking to buy a new tv come Easter time. Out of the ones I've seen in shops the Thomson and the Sony most impress as I dont want to spend more than £1,500.

I saw in comet the Thomson today and was pretty impressed no lag that I could detect but I have a couple of questions. Does it always come with the inherent buzz that I have read. Is Hi Pix defeatable? Has anyone Service menu Information for this set or is it set up correctly? and what is Thomson service really like.

The Sony has impressed me with its clear picture but I have deteceted image lag not so much on football but on fast moving pictures (someone nodding for instance) which I could live with.

I know I still have a couple of months but would be grateful if anyone could help.

Messiah

Well, you may find by Easter time that the likes of the Philips 30" will be around the £1500 mark. having installed one day before yesterday I was pretty impressed by the image from ordinary terrestrial. Sound was good too and the menus, albeit a tad slow, a joy to use.

HTH :)

P

Plugman

Thanks Messiah, I had originally considered the philips but discounted it because it is to big (its only for the bedroom) and I am sure that the pixellation would be to much of a factor.

I then thought about the JVC but its a bit more than I wanted to pay (even at £1699) even though I could get Barclaycard to match a high street retailers price.

cjc1

Standard Member
I have had the Sony for about 4 months now. At the time, in my opinion it was the best of the bunch. If you havent already go to your local Sony centre, if you have one, they take the time to set it up properly so you get a very good idea of how it will look at home

F

fishyuk

If you are looking for a 23-27" display it might be worth holding off a couple more months. HP will be releasing a 23" with WUXGA (meaining HD WMV DVDs - if ever released in the UK would look awaesome) and there are other traditional monitor manufacturers coming out with LCD/TVs also.

Viewsonic's N2700w will start being sold in Feb last time I asked them :

n2700w

Factor in Dell, iiyama et all getting in to the business then even if you wan't to stick to a traditional consumer brand then prices are likely to drop. Still, Sony is really suffering from missing the LCD TV boat, their first actual Panel factory will be a joint venture with Samsung and Samsung will be in control. Here come the Koreans.

Alex

S

sponshagga

I think the Thomson has a great picture , found no image lag and I watch a lot of football - the most testing on response time. I am very happy with it. There is no buzz unless I put my ear to the back. Having said that I found Thomson's backup useless with a plasma I had. Got my money back after 6 months of no help at all!
Figured if I buy on Barclaycard this time then any probs they are very good at sorting it The thomson PQ makes my LG 23" lcd look quite poor.

P

Plugman

Thanks all and in particular to spoonshagga. I was thinking of applying for a Barclaycard and doing a price match ,I have already seen this set cheaper on the web, than Currys,Comet,Dixons. I would also get a year extra warranty free.

I suppose that the picture on the Thomson is better because of the hi pix circuit. It will be interesting to see a full review which Should have appeared in the press by the time I wanted to buy.

S

sponshagga

I did the price match no problem but they won't do the years extended warranty. I was told that LCD's do not have a big enough user base

P

Plugman

Well the search continues now seen that the Sony is 15:9 so thats out. I was comparing the Thomson with the Philips in Currys the other day and thought that the Philips was the better unit but have reservations with regard to the size as I will be sitting between 2 to 2.5 metres away from the screen. I also love the look of the JVC especially as JL should price match total digital and give the 5yr gtee for £1699.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
if you don't think the actual size of the screen will be an issue, go for the philips.

Pixellation isn't a problem at that kind of viewing distance - its a very high res panel (like most large LCDs). It also makes good use of it, with the pixel plus scaling doing a very good job of increasing perceived detail.

Don't know about Messiah's price expectations though - its only just getting some new reviews in, and £1999 is already significantly discounted from its RRP.