What should I do?

Scholesy

My B7 developed pixel wear/burn in about 18 months after purchasing, at the time I was given the runaround by LG until the retailer stepped in and offered to swap the panel out, at the time I was exploring the idea of it being replaced by the newer model which had more tech to thwart this such as dinming of static images etc, I agreed to have the panel swapped out but on the proviso that if it occurred again (as the B7 seemed susceptible) It would be replaced by the newer set, this was agreed to (they said they’d swap it out for a “similar spec model” - which to me is OLED given that’s what my set is).

A year is so into the new panel and it’s started to happen again, depaite following all of the precautions requested and my viewing habits being varied) however the retailer doesn’t want me to now have an OLED and is steering me towards alternative tech such as QLED, or will offer me a partial refund. Alternatively they will swap out for the newer set but I must waive my right to any warranty if burn in occurs again.

I have all of the correspondence in emails, but wondering what I should do here?

I can feasibly take the refund and shop elsewhere such as JL and presumably have that warranty should it happen again but I do feel like the agreement we made is being reneged on a bit.

It’s not a dig at the retailer in question if they see this (they’ve been great to be fair) I’m just trying to work out what’s best to do.

next010

Distinguished Member
Anti-burn is better on more recent models, though there are trade offs, the ABL is more aggressive on these models so brightness changes can be more noticeable to some.

Dont push OLED pixel light to high levels keep it under 50-40 in SDR and turn off always on HDR solutions used on newer set top boxes and game consoles as they push OLED pixel light to maximum. Set to only use HDR were natively supported.

If you feel you have taken all the precautions like the above then OLED is probably not suited to your viewing habits so I'd take the QLED.

fluxedman

I can feasibly take the refund and shop elsewhere such as JL and presumably have that warranty should it happen again but I do feel like the agreement we made is being reneged on a bit.

What you said here its the easiest route, JL offer burn in cover.

The other long way around it is as you said, stick to your guns go the it was not fit for its intended purpose (google martin lewis sad farts), keep all letters, emails as proof and always remember its the retailer and manufacturer that should provide a fit for purpose TV and usually 5 years is the rough time frame for that as long as its a reasonable high cost price.

Sounds like the retailer has done the right thing, honoured the law really and taken the cost on board so don't want a 3rd case again since its costing them, obviously not your fault as a consumer.

New oleds according to LG 2018/9+ should really never have burn in due to the improvements but its not 100% a fact were still waiting another 2-3 years to find that out.

LED tech is still sound so its another option, imo choice is yours which direction you go but OLED is oled its the best imo, ill always stick to JL with burn in cover though.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom