• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question What should I do?

Cygnes

Standard Member
Hi guys,
I have a bit of a delemma. I've had a Panasonic TH-50PZ80U for the last 11 years. She's served me we but now she's starting to go. It's also time to upgrade to 4K anyway. I'm an avid gamer and I'll be getting the XBOX One X once it's released(fall). Unfortunately a 4K upgrade will prove rather costly. XBOX, TV and a bloody receiver that can pass 4K lol. So I probably shouldn't just go out and grab a $3000 OLED. Boy that would be nice. But mitigating cost right now would be best. Interestingly enough I just found a guy selling a new Samsung UN55JS9000FXZA for $1000cad($754usd). I've seen a review or two for this TV and they are all positive but that is comparing the TV to 2015 tech. Also I'm jumping technology here. Plasma to LED... QLED? Would this be a good buy for me or should I just hold out till the XBOX One X is released and grab the best I can at that time? I'm really out of touch when it comes to modern TVs. The idea of thinking about input lag on my TV blew my tiny little mind. I'm a gamer but I watch a lot of movie and TV shows too. Well I try too. Work, right? $1000 would be a great interm TV and I could just grab a fancy OLED in a year or two when the cost is a little more reasonable. I just don't want to "downgrade" from what I have. At the very least I'd like the same experience. Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Steve!

babator

Established Member
As a temporary solution to a failing plasma, I think it is a fine choice. In most respects it will be a clear upgrade. Viewing angles will be worse, and handling of motion will be different. Not necessarily "worse", but different. Black levels will actually be better (although not necessarily as even), especially since the Panasonic PZ80U is one of the Panasonic models that lose contrast with age.

However, the Samsung HDR performance is not up to the newer sets - there are comparative colour gamut and brightness limitations, there are almost no picture settings in HDR mode, and the tone mapping may not be as good. HDR will only become more and more common in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom