1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should i do?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fred123go, Nov 8, 2003.

?
  1. Stick with the Pioneer

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Get the Denon

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    I have the option to change my amplifier from a pioneer vsx-d2011 to a Denon AVC-A10SE, what should i do? I have read amazing reviews about the Denon but it is quite old, i am not concerned about the decoding methods, but sound standards back then might have not been set as high as they are now?or is that not true?
    cheers all
    Fred

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I have a Denon AVC-A10SE and it decodes and amplifies to a very high standard which is rarely surpassed in the current crop of mid price amps.

It won't decode PL2 and whilst it will decode the extra rear channels it only has five channels of amplification so you will need an extra amp if you want 6.1

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks, i think i will sell my 2011 and get it, on ebay at the moment for hopefully a good price, i reckon i can get it for £700-£900 because it is second hand, and PL2 is not an issue as i rarely listen to sky in surround sound, i like to keep it for movies.
    cheers for the reply
    Fred

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Don't pay anymore than 550 for it (top whack!). That would have to be for a mint condition one as well.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    For £900 you can have mine :D

They crop up from time to time in the classifieds here and always sell for between £500 and £550.

6. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok cheers guys, so no more than £600. And you guys reckon it would be an improvement over my Pioneer vsx-d2011?
    cheers
    fred

7. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Personally I would prefer the A10SE to the 2011. I like the "sound" of Denon amps/receivers.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you are rapidly falling into the AV trap here...... you are going to end up having a system for the sake of the system, not for watching films...... stick with what you have and spend the money on something which is more worthwhile

ad

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup i know exactly what you mean buns, cheers mate, i should be happy with what i have atm and stop upgrading for no reason. I love my set up atm and should learn to appreciate it! the only thing i would like is a progressive scan dvd player, hopefully the Denon 2900 to be my next upgrade.
    Fred

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO You'd have a significant step-up in the quality of Power Amps by changing to an A10SE but would substitute this for an overall step-down in Processing Panache. You'll lose DTS-ES Discrete, PLII and Neo: 6.

Were it my money I'd opt for the A10SE, it does have a Widescreen 7.1 mode which I do believe generates 7.1 surround from Stereo sources. How effective this is I'm unsure.

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Frankly I wouldn't bother. Although I'm not overly familiar with the Pioneer 2011, I believe it's a mid-range amp in a similar class to the Denon (albeit not as good).

The trouble with changing from one mid-range amp to another is that the differences are so subtle that for the hassle involved, there's simply no point.

This is a generalisation mind, as like I say I haven't heard the Pioneer, but given the specs of both amps, I'd say you'd be better off making a larger jump (i.e towards the flagship amps).

Of course, alot of other factors come into play, and it may be that your speakers would benefit from the Denon's superior amplification (if it is superior, which is what people are infering). If you have difficult to drive speakers such as M&Ks, then you may notice a difference.

The other thing to bear in mind is that each manufacturer tends to have its own "flavour": Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha etc all have their own sound, and again I'd say it isn't worth the hassle of buying and selling just to experience a different "flavour" - especially if you're really happy with what you've got.

Take a leaf out of my book, sit back relax and think that your next upgrade can wait a while (Note to all: Please stifle those laughs;))

12. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    I think i have made my final decision. i am going to get the Denon AVC-A11SR, looks a really good amp and i think it will improve on my Pioneer...any views of yours?
    Fred

13. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Certainly change your mind a lot.:D The A11SR is an excellent amp and is a definite step up from the Pioneer. It's the A10SE's direct replacement. Just bear in mind that it too is due for a replacement as the USA has already had the 4802R (updated with THX Ultra2) for a while now.

Smurfin

The A10SE certainly wasn't a mid-range amp in the same bracket as the 2011. It appeared before the release of the A1SE flagship model so was semi-flagship for a while.;)

14. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Widescreen 7.1 is a bit crap, better off sticking to THX Surround EX or 5.1.

15. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha jase i know, but i am pretty certain with this amp, and for £1300 new i def reckon it is a worthwhile purchase. But then again i really really like the idea of the front effect speaker effect of the Yamaha DSP-AZ1, soo...decisions decisions...i won't be upgrading it for a good few months anyway so plenty of time to think!i guess will be posting around March/April time.
    cheers Jase
    Fred

16. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you're talking about the Yamaha DSP which adds a further two front 'Effects' channels to the front soundstage and uses five front speakers instead of three.

From what I've read, you need an extremely large room to really benefit from the implementation of this, and even then it isn't the most effective, urm, effect.

Also bear in mind that if you were to use such effects you'd end up with around 11 speakers in your listening room - damn!

Not that I want to confuse your options much more, but KAVC-A1SE's and AVC-A1SR's go in the classifieds forums for little more than the price of the new A11SR you propose to buy :).

17. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i know, but personally i do not need 170w of power per channel!!my room is relatively small, 125watts per channel i think would suit it, there is no point of me getting a second hand amp which is way too powerful, i might as well buy a new one which has been rated 5 stars for like everything
    Fred
    p.s. you can never have too many speakers IMO, plus it is my room so i don't give a sh*t what other people, ie a certain mum, think about the arrangement

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oi!!! Serial upgraders are meant to know better than to rely on power ratings and 5 star reviews! There is only one way of knowing, use your ears.......

ad

19. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    How about seperates?

20. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have considered, in particular the Rotel 1075 and the Rotel 1066, but i prefer to use THX processing in some films and this comes at a high price in processors.
    and cheers ad and yeah i will be going to a show in february and will use my ears to find the best sounding, 2 grandish, integrated amp/seperates system that i like the best, taking into terms the variables
    Fred