Question What should I do about dust extraction?

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could do with moving my speaker building into my shed so I was wondering what options I have that would make a meaningful impact on dust that don't cost a fortune. What do people recommend?

I realise I will still need respiratory and eye protection BTW as it seems dealing with the tiny dust specs that do the damage is a 4 figure job. I just mean how to make it so that I can work on MDF in a fairly small space.

My Henry has been more than adequate when I work with MDF dust.

You could upgrade to Hepa-Flo bags if you wanted - I had some come free with it and found they were good but not a noticeable improvement over the standard bags.

I've got a Karcher vacuum, it even has socket on it which turns on the vacuum when using a power tool. Cost was just under £100.

The only way to really achieve adequate dust management is with tools that have a hose attachment like the Festool plungesaw I posted on another thread,I know it seems expensive for DIY use but when you are making multiple cabinets I guarantee its worth the investment.

You don't have to use a Festool dust extractor withit ( I use a much cheaper Bosch)& as Ronski said,other brands make them with switched power outlets

My tools do have spouts to attach to.

Do you have some specific models to look at? I think the karcher with the auto on is perhaps this one?

http://www.alternate.co.uk/Kärcher/MV-6-P-Premium/html/product/1121081

I assume the Henry is the Numatic Henry and not one of the other models they have now?

The festool mini is definitely way more than I want to pay.

There is also something like CamVac | Product View which isn't that much more than the karcher one but obviously not as generally useful.

I don't mind paying a bit more for something more effective as it would save me time but if the cheaper ones are really good enough then no point spending money for the sake of it.

I assume the Henry is the Numatic Henry and not one of the other models they have now?

Correct - just the basic Henry.

How old is your Karcher Ronski and what power? There was that ERP regulation that came in recently (ish) that reduced the power of the more powerful vacuum cleaners....not sure if that applies for yours?

@Geps It must be about a month to 6 weeks old. It's 1000W but supposed to have equivalent power to 1400w, either way it's got incredible suction. See link in my previous post for full specs.

The new regs limit vacuum cleaners to 1600w, in 2017 they'll be limited to just 900w.

Last edited:
upuntil recently i had been making do with a cheap dewalt circular saw and a wickes branded jigsaw with a old henry wet and dry blow/vac. i thought it worked great till i recently tried a festool cordless jigsaw with a festool dust extractor amazing is all i can say sucks away way way more than my setup and less noisey too.

now if only i can quietly replace my saw stuff with festool without the mrs noticing

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom