1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I change my Quadscan Pro for?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    As you may have read in my other posts here my QS Pro is darkening the image to my CRT quite considerably and crushing black detail too.

I have tried loads of things all to no avail so am now looking at changing it for soemthing else. Don't really know whether I should go for just a doubler or a full scaler but need to connect the following inputs

DVD - component RCA
    PS2 - component RCA
    Sky+ - S-vid

and it will be feeding (currently) a Barco 701s CRT (although this may change son either for another CRT or a new LCD/DLP dependent upon how good the new device is).

Anyone got any thoughts on what I should be loking at.

Thanks.

2. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would consider up grading to a Focus Centerstage 1. I used to own a Quadscan Pro and recently took the unit down to Owl Video to audtion a 7" CRT projector. During the demo Alan Roser switched the QS for a CS-2 and I couldn't believe the difference.

The picture was alot sharper. The colours and contrast were better. The image in general was brighter with more detail, particularly in the dark scences.

Technology has really moved on since the QS came on the scene a few years ago and the unit is starting to show its age.
    They're better scalers than the CS-1 & 2 on the market, but for the price the CS units take some beating.

I was so impressed that I've ordered a CS-2 from Gordon at Convergent-AV. You might also want to consider an Iscan Pro. I use to own an iscan and I thought it was far superior to the QS. The only down side is your limited with the deinterlacer to line doubling, but its still a great peice of kit for the money.

All the best.

popeye:)

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks popeye. What sort of price are we talking about.

Gordon - any chance of buying one on sale or return to make sure it overcomes the current probs with my QS?

Thanks guys.

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Popeye,

Nice one on the CS-2.

You'll be getting a SDI modded DVD player soon then?

I'm using a cinematrix modded denon 1600 until I can decide if a CS-2 or say a Leeza is my next addition. Really have not decided which DVD player to use to start with. This was a very good improvement over my QS and is still a simple one box solution.

Mind you by the time I decide, HD-DVD will be here..............

rgds

Nathan

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    For a 701s you will struggle to beat line doubled from an Iscan. all the black detail should be there and you will stay within the capabilities of the projector.

Just as a matter of interest what mode are you running the quadscan at?

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Roland.

Double tv. I'm reading more and more posts where this appears to be a common problem.

7. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most agree for just a doubled image, the QS should be ignored.

A QS is a good solution for someone who needs a trippled image.

Personally, I had many a happy hour watching my BG1208 with my QS Pro, but you get what you pay for. There are better but not really cheaper!!

Is a CS-2 5 times better that a QS Pro, depends !?!?!

Most important is to make sure your PJ is set up correctly as i keep learning everytime I get brave with my PJ.

Agree with Roland that the Iscan is the safe bet. Or look to go for a 8 inch CRT then try your QS on XGA.

Rgds

Nathan

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Nathan. I'd love to go for an 8" CRT but although my room is plenty big enough (22' x 17') the ceilings slope both ends so I only have about 10ft flat ceiling area with an RSJ at each end. This limits me to the screen size and CRT size for ceiling mounting. In fact my 701s is currently floor mounted projecting onto a 7'9" screen. This will soon be changed for a 7' screen so hoping I can just squeeze the CRT onto the ceiling.

Any ideas for a 'small' 8" CRT. the 801s are just too big (long) so I must discount them. Any other ideas.

BTW, I know the 701 will not be great with a tripled image but is there any particular reason why not. It does work but from memory the picture becomes a lot softer and unfortunately the 'dark' and detail problem I have persists even when tripled.

This is my biggest gripe with the QS Pro. Feed S-Vid directly and the picture is vibrant, colourful and punchy (albeit with lines). Switch to the QS output to the pj and the difference is VERY noticeable. It's driving me nuts such that I am not watching any films now because it annoys me so much.

Hence my posts re changing. I've seen the light with CRT but need to improve things still further.

9. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend that you see a CS-1 or 2 in action for your self. You wont be disapointed!
    I don't know which part of the country your in, but there are a few dealers that have them on demo. I know Sevenoaks in Manchester had a CS-1 on demo not long ago.
    If you shop around you should be able to buy a CS-1 in the UK for around the £1500 mark. A cheaper option is to import a unit from the US. With the present exchange rates after import tax and VAT you will be paying around £1200, however you wont get the US 2 year warranty and back up service if your unit developes a fault.
    I looked into this, however I decided to play it safe and I've ordered a unit from Gordon for the excellent service and suport.

Hi Nathan

The reason I went for the CS-2 was mainly for the up-grade potential for SDI. The CS-2 can ship with the SDI mod or it can be up graded by Owl for an extra £300. As your probably aware the HD Leeza has SDI included in the price and as a bonus it presently ships with a Panasonic SDI DVD player.
    I haven't seen a HD Leeza but I heard its a bit special.

Regards

popeye :)

10. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah,

I've squeezed my 1208 into a single garage and that fires onto a 7 foot wide widescreen. So no excuses !?!

Have you tried a DVD player that has interlaced component yet. If so what IRE black setting are you using the wrong one and the pic looks naff.

As you know I had a 737 but before settling on my Denon with the inbuilt scaler, i tried a Arcan DV88 which was much better sound than the pioneer, but way softer.

Have you tried resetting the QS and changing the leads to check?

Nathan

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Nathan

It's not the size of the room that is the problem but the distance between the RSJs at each end. If I stick with CRT (and after watching Hart's War tonight via standard S-Vid feed - way more vibrant and detailed than the QS feed - I am) then I have to get it ceiling mounted.

I'm just about to complete a deal on a second hand iScan pro so will give that a go. I'm getting it for a good price so if no good I'll sell it on for what I pay for it so nothing lost.

I tried direct component interlaced and progressive from my SD900 with IRE set at 0 and to be honest it was not that different than the QS feed. I also tried my Philips 962 and that was about the same so it may be that both these players are exhibiting the same darkening of the image and maybe I need to try another play. The SD900 via S-Vid through my amp to pj though is absolutely stunning. So much so I'm beginning to wonder whether I need the new Stewart screen at all :confused:

If I could achieve the same level of vibrancy and detail as the S-Vid feed but line doubled then I would be a very happy bunny. Maybe the iScan wil give me this. If so, I'll likely keep the QS Pro for when I get a better (bigger) CRT. I think something like a Sony G90 is a lot smaller than a 1209 so maybe that will be the next move up.

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed Hart's War. Not a great action flick but some great scenes which I think a lesser pj would have struggled with :D

I hear the Pioneers are very good players so may look for a good second hand one on the classifieds forum. Any recommendations for which one?

Cheers

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.