What should i buy?..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Cujek, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Cujek

Cujek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so i have bought a Yamaha DSPAX863SE and i am looking for some speakers to complement them, I have a budget of about £300, im not worried about a sub i will upgrade this at a later date.

i want speakers that will sound good with music, but main need is tv/dvd audio, i bought a speaker set with out researching it, and when it came it turned out to be a nasty set that you had to plug the speakers into the amp and didn't even use my shiney av amp.

i was looking at the Mordaunt Short Carnival 5.1 or Pioneer SV410 AV or KEF KHT1005.2 AV.

i dunno if anyone has heard or got these models, or anyone can recommend any alternative.

or am i better off to spend £300 on some decent floor standers and add to it as i go on with speakers that will match (i know this will be more expensive).

my room is fairly small about 12x12.

thanks for your help.

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Hi and welcome...

You've got a great amp there and IMO you need more than a £300 set of speakers to really do it justice. Your room isn't that small either...

I personally think you hit the nail on the head, buy something decent for the fronts now and add it as and when funds permit.

Something like these Kefs would be an excellent purchase and be the basis of a stunning AV system... it wouldn't cost the earth to add the rest as and when either...

KEF IQ5-MAP at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

I know the colours are wrong but...

KEF IQ2-WAL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

And

KEF IQ1-WAL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

You could even consider their bigger brother as fronts instead of the floorstanders....

KEF IQ3-WAL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

As for a sub at a later stage, anything from BK Elec or SVS would be excellent!

As an alternative, some of the Mordaunt Short packages are good, but for music you'll likely find them lacking, though the sub is very good:

Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere Plus

Or these get universal praise (and rightly so) - would be great all rounders, you could start off with the 9.1 fronts and build from there in much the same way too!

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1AV HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/2541 for details

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    Indeed the Wharfedale Diamonds 9.1, which are a fair full range speakers, and can stand on their own as stereo speakers, would be good, or perhaps something from the Mordaunt Short Avant series.

The Diamonds in a 5.0 setup are going push your budget -

Diamond 9.1 fronts = £126/pr
    Diamond 9.0 rear = £78/pr
    Diamond 9.CS center = £126
    Total = £330

You might also want to consider Tannoy Mercury F1's (about £99/pr). I'm sure a 5.0 set will come in very close to your budget when you add the Center (£88/ea). If you shop around you might even able to get the Tannoy Mercury F4 floorstanding speakers for around £150/pr. With the bookshelf F1's and the center, you are slightly under budget. With the floorstanding fronts, you are slightly over budget.

Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i are about £117 per pair, £234 for two pair, plus £112 for the Center speakers. Again, that takes you slightly over your budget.

However, given your suggestions, your preferences seem to lean toward 'egg/pod' style speakers. If that a pleases you then it is simply a matter of find a set you like that you can afford.

But I personally think you will get much better performance for your money with bookshelf speakers.

No one will flat out tell you 'buy these speakers'. The best we can do it point you toward speakers with a good reputation, and let you decide for yourself.

Also, if you shop around for any of the speakers suggested you might be able to find better prices. But, the prices quoted are generally very good.

Steve/bluewizard

4. Cujek

Cujek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies they are very helpful, even with the crappy speakers i have right now it sounds awesome i have a cheap pair of eltax liberty speakers that cost like £100 about 8 years ago or somthing.

i think im going gonna take a look around richer sounds see what they can offer me (always trying for discounts) i kinda want bi-wirable speakers for the front, hmm so much to think off.

those wharfdales do look very tasty

thanks for the help.

5. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Can i ask why you want biwireable speakers?

If you will biamp them then that may make a difference, but don't get cut up on it - many top manufacturers don't even offer it, Dynaudio being a prime example!

Either of the sets i suggested above would be solid investments