1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by sraper, Oct 22, 2004.

1. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Help. Its time to navigate the camera jungle. My trusty old Kodak DC260 has finally died and I need a replacement. I also have an oldish Canon EOS300 SLR which I like.

I am very tempted by the EOS300D especially as it means I can keep using my existing lenses. Also the CF cards from the Kodak will work. However it is a little expensive. Cheapest I can find is £590.

Another option would be the PowerShot S1 IS. Which also does short movies and is much more reasonable at £270. However after reading some reviews it appears to have a few problems compared to other similar cameras. Which then leads onto the Panasonic FZ20 for £340 or the Minolta DiMAGE Z3 (good for movies) also £270.

So what I want is a:
    - high quality camera
    - lots of manual features for me, but easy for the wife to use!
    - can get decent large sized prints, upto A4
    - good AF
    - good white balance, especially indoors (seems a weakness of Canon cameras)
    - a 35mm to 200mm equivalent optical zoom range or better
    - nice if it takes AA batteries (I have loads for current camera)
    - nice if it takes CF cards (again as used by current camera)
    - would love an SLR

So please convince me to buy the 300D :) :lease:

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i had the S1, it does take AA's its great for taking night shots at long shutter speeds and max focal lengths (can sometime be an issue with longer zooms) because of the image stablization. But A4 would be out as its 3.2 mp and it does not have an af assist lamp. I did sometimes have trouble with indoor shots because of it but nothing major. The film mode is fantastic i have to say, and you can still use the zoom because it uses an ultrasonic motor which means you wont hear the noise when you zoom during films. The quality is the best i've seen, but you'd only get 9 mins on a 1 gig card. Thats actually how good it is.

Plenty oF good features on the S1 for you and your partner. The flip around screen is a really handy thing to have for protection of the screen to taking low level and high level shots where you can flip the screen down or up to see what you're looking at, plus flip it round to face you, really very handy
    All an all its a very nice camera.

But...

If the Z20 would have been out when i bought it i would have gone for the for sure. Looks to be a great camera and has more to offer on the hole. But i would still have done what i ended up doing even with that, which was to move on sharpish to a dslr which was the 20D for me.

My advice is get the best camera you can first time if poss, and that for you would of course be the 300D. If you cant stretch to that then i'd go with the FZ20, in my opinion its the one to go for.

But get the 300D!

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,662
    I'm in a similar position with an EOS 30 & can't quite justify the cost of a 300D. I bought a Fuji S7000 to see how much more use I would actually make of digital as opposed to film. So far I'm very pleased with it & it ticks all your boxes (except SLR) for around £300. It does have an electronic viewfinder so you see the same image that the lens sees, which is very SLR like. The AF is nowhere near as fast as the Canon USMs & struggles in low light but then it's half the price of a 300D.

Maybe worth keeping an eye on the Classifieds here as 2 300Ds have sold for around £400 recently & I picked up the Fuji there for £245.

4. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get the 300d - you've already got lens and memory cards so by the sounds of it you won't need to fork out for anything else in the short term...and the body will reward you for a long time to come...

there was talk of prices coming down by about £100 in the run up to xmas (not sure if that was on here or another forum...) so maybe for a christmas pressie???

I got one in September and have been snapping away ever since! Yeah it more expensive then other digicams, but it allowed me to step into the SLR world...

5. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a 300D, which I must say I am very happy with. Just wanted to let you know thatCanon are offering a rebate of £100 on cameras bought after the 1st Novemver 2004. Apparently, they deposit the money into your bank account.

See Camera World for details. I wish I had waited now and I would have gone for this!
    There is nothing announced from Canon yet , but Canon USA are already doing it but Canon Europe have not officially announced it yet.

When I bought my 300D I got the kit lens and I have no other lenses or CF cards, I would say that you shoul go out and buy one because you already have all the stuff to go with it. It makes sense to continue with the system you have already got than buying into a totally different system, like the Fuji for example.

It's your choice :D

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I told you nic that if you reg it at canon you get a free 256mb card. I'm pretty surprised that canon uk are doing this in ripp off britain. got be be a great deal. But i'd check with canon uk first

7. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well yes, wait til November 1st when it is realsed officially.

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,662
    Not looking to get into an argument with Nicola (that's Keanyboy's job :laugh: ) but the reason that I suggested the Fuji S7000 is that it does everything asked for straight out of the box. There is no system to buy into as it uses the CF cards & AA's already owned. No doubt other cameras at this price range will also fit the bill but I only know the S7000 in any detail.

I think it's highly questionable, if not illegal, for Camera World to be basing pricing on an offer that doesn't yet exist. What happens if you buy the camera & the Canon promotion never materialises?

For all that, if you can afford the 300D then go for it.

PS
    The focal length of your existing lenses will be multiflied by 1.6 on the 300D so a 75-300mm will become 120-480mm.

9. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Thanks for the info. The cons that keanyboy mentioned are certainly the ones that are putting me off the S1. Which is why i am considering the others. Need to find time to go to Jessops and maybe PCWorld. Would love the 300D, if the £100 rebate materialises then I think that might be the deciding factor. Only problem is that its not as compact or as easy to use for that WAF :laugh: Must look at the Fuji as well I guess.

10. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,662
    If you have any specific questions regarding the S7000 I'm happy to help either on the thread or by PM.

I got a sneaking feeling that early next year will see the 300D retailing at £499 & the launch of a 30D between the 300D & the 20D.

11. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Read through a review of the Fuji S7000. As expected has some good points, and a few annoying bad points. Also read some other Fuji reviews. Happened to read a Nikon D70 review (damm if only I had some Nikon lenses!).

I guess the problem is that I am being to picky. My old Kodak DC260 has many faults. A 9-10 second startup. Can only take 2 pictures in "burst mode" no AF assist, somewhat sloppy AF in certain scenes. Only a megapixel camera etc. Yet it did take some very nice pictures. All I really need is something better and I guess that means almost any camera on the market today over £100.

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Read a couple of reviews of the Panasonic FZ20. Seems a great camera, pity it uses a proprietary battery and different memory cards (though should I really be bothered!)

14. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well even my 20D uses one. I'd not let that stop you or the memory card

15. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the 300d does everything out of the box as well (apart from memory cards, which the op already has)!

16. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Just come back from looking at both the EOS 300d and the Powershot S1 IS. I managed to take a few pictures with both cameras for comparison. Suprisingly the S1 did better than the 300d :eek: . The only thing I have noticed since looking at the pictures is that the 300d was set at 1600 ISO :rolleyes:

The piccy on the left is from the S1.

Attached Files:

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the S1 mate, its a good camera but it just can't compare with the 300D once you get to gribs with it. I have the 20D and trust me you can take bad picture with anything, and its more likely going to be our fault rather then the cameras. Your iso is way to high for sure which has made it noisey. What seetings did you have them both on generally. You get a £100 back now when you buyt the 300D. You have to go for that matey its a bargain

18. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I know. My heart tells me to buy the 300d, logic tells me to buy the S1 as its 1/2 the price, smaller, lightweight, easy to use, high WAF. and its primary use from next february will be taking baby pictures :laugh:

19. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sraper
    the canon is known for soft focus issues.. and e18 errors <...cam freezes.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/
    see comparison pics here.
    so look at FZ3 or FZ15 v sharp but dearer with latest tech..

would i buy a rebel NO... look to the D70 better built n worth the diff in any compares i seen..

20. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something else to consider. When you are taking your baby photos - you probably wont want to use the flash,especially at first, so the higher ISO acheiveable on the 300D may come in useful for none flash situations?

Not trying to sway you or anything?!

21. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Well finally went for the Canon S1 IS. Mainly cause the wife liked it!!! May look at buying a Canon Digital SLR sometime next year (maybe in January, before the cashback runs out :D )

Havent taken any worthwhile pictures yet. Having great problems connecting it to my laptop (XP SP2) via the USB cable. Just doesnt seem to work and once I have connected opening "My Computer" is really really slow :mad: . Only way to fix this is to use "System Restore" :suicide:

Actually dont really need to use the direct connection method as I have a card reader but I would like to upgrade the firmware!

22. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0