What should I buy Archos, PDA, PSP - Any other suggestions?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by gidxg03, Jun 3, 2005.

1. gidxg03

gidxg03
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was planning on buying an archos Jukebox for a round the world
    trip which I'll be taking next year. The plan was to fill it with
    video's and music so I'll have something to watch on the plane
    and in hotels etc during the trip. However I'm concerned about
    the screen issues I've read on the web and I'm wondering is there
    another product out there that would suit my needs.

I'm particularly interested in PDA's as well. I have very little knowledge
    of PDA's so perhaps someone could shed some light. I understand I can
    surf the web etc using wifi which is available in most airports, some hotels
    etc. I also understand you can listen to music/watch DivX's on a PDA.
    However I think the limited capacity of memory on the PDA will be a big issue.

I may also consider a PSP however, again, memory maybe an issue. Is it possible to burn DivX's onto the cd media the PSP accepts?

So what I'm looking for is a versatile product that will play DivX's. Obviously something that is very portable. Masses on memory is very important (I was thinking of the 80GB Archos Jukebox).

Any suggestions?

2. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Go for the archos, as it has all your requirements. A pda will cost nearly as much then youll be forking out more for a measly gigabytes worth of memory card. The screen will be too small to enjoy surfing (it would be cheaper to use internet cafes at airports if available. A PSP is a slightly different matter, theres no hard drive to save films and so far theres only a few import movies (spiderman) available. It uses a umd disc that is not writable but does have a memory stick port, but if you enjoy games you'll be able to spend many hrs on it. Youll still have to fork out a load of money on a decent sized memory stick though for mp3's (pretty sure psp won't play divx).
    You should also check the battery life of the media device you buy as your probably not gonna get a mains socket on a plane.

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I agree - go for an Archos - I've got a 100Gb one - now loaded with 200 Albums, 30 full length movies, all the Thunderbirds episodes (for my 5 year old and 2 year old, you understand!) and it's not quite 3/4 full!

There's also the compact flash slot, so you can save all the pictures you take, without having to spend even more cash on extra cards!
    And you'll not have to develop any 'til you get back!

This is my second Archos - I had a MMJB about 3 years ago
    - as an extra plus, BOTH products got the :thumbsup: from the Mrs in a BIG way.

Something that I don't see very often from all the "rubbish" (her words) I buy!