1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I buy and what do I need?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andy76, Aug 9, 2002.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having posted a couple times asking what to get I am finally getting round to doing something!!

I have an idea of what I want but a few questions too:

Only looking at the lower end of the market say about £300 ish for an amp.

The Yamaha RX420 (or something similar) looks OK.
    Any thoughts?
    Ideally I want one with pre outs for the main speakers as I have a Rotel stereo amp I want to use as I like music too - the multi channel amps are not good for stereo are they?

Other recomendations - please NOT Marantz!! Had stereo stuff and just didn't like it as a brand.

Should I just stick with the basic 5.1 DD and DTS or are there newer formats that are worth looking into?
    Have heard 6.1 and 7.1 mentioned...

Thanks
    Andrew

2. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless its cheap bear in mind the 420 is now last years model and has been replaced with the 430.Does DD and DTS and Pro-logic 2.

Goto the yamaha website and have a look at the spec.

http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/receiver/rx-v430rds/index.asp

I have to admit to being somewhat tone deaf and find my Yamaha AX2 fine for playing music,mostly pop though, stick some classical in it and it might show some weaknesses!

3. avnut

avnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smallman,

I wouldn't want to sway your decision for personal gain, but...

If you are after a Yamaha, check out the
    FS:Speakers and Amps thread in the classifieds.

I am selling an unused brand new RX-v620RDS for 250.
    It does DD and DTS, and has 6 channel input as well as the output you wanted, to go to your Rotel.

Arif:)

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn´t care too much for 6.1 or 7.1, tried it and prefer 5.1, my personal opinion, of course, but also cumbersome, more speakers, more expensive, harder to fit in the living room...

On the other hand, I think Dolby Prologic II, or Logic 7, is a must, works extremely well with all stereo sources, CD, FM, TV, VHS, etc...