1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I be looking for?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dapex, Feb 25, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all, As you may have read I am planning on building a HCPC and to be honest I am proably going to copy someone elses specs as that way I have a pretty good chance of it working ok. I would however like to understand what certain components are picked and what components make the most difference. This also stems from the fact that a guy at work is building a hcpc but it is going to cost him and £250 becuase of his budget components.

So then. I see you all seem to be using £80 - £100 mother boards to run Athlon64 3gig chips but I dont really understand why so much power is needed, is it becuase of the PVR side of the HCPC or becuase of using things like FFDSHOW??

Now plenty of ram and large HD i totally understand and the one area I expected to spend big money is the graphic card yet many people seem very happy with a £50 quid (radeo 9600 etc).

So then, how come I need so much proccessor power and so little grapichs power, this is the exact oposite to what i would have expected when I first looked into HCPC?

Cheers

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Powerful, ie fast, graphics cards are only necessary if you are into 3D games like Doom3 etc. Otherwise, for home cinema a 9 series (and above) Radeon or equivalent nVidia card is all you need for rendering video. I just built a new AMD64 system for a friend with an ASUS X300 PCI-E card for £35, which produces excellent results, as above, but which would be absolutely hopeless for games like Doom3.

Processing power (AND a quality capture card BTW) is required for live TV deinterlacing/filtering/scaling using DScaler; for PVR, if re-encoding in real time, as well as for video post processing (AVIs, DVDs etc) using ffdshow etc.

Sure, you can build a budget system for £250, or maybe even less. You'll get budget quality results then, of course.

PS What's "gambing"..?

3. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    LOL, your the first person that has ever pointed out the gambing... See my mate is planning on using old stuff he has, amd22+ etc etc but he is only planning on it being a dvd player so amybe he will getaway with it.

Thanks for the info though, it may help me as I go on.

Cheers

4. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no worries.......

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    If you are going to be using ffdshow for post processing then really the minimum processor spec needs to be a XP3200 equivalent not necessarily the 64, if you want to keep costs down.

When i built my hcpc, which cost about £350 of which 20% of the cost was on the case, i was originally going to use it for dvd playback only i.e pdvd or tt so i only got a XP2500.
    I then found the joys (or otherwise) of ffdshow, this coupled with nvidia codecs took my processor usage way over the top for pal material and it kept stuttering so i overclocked my processor to that of an XP3200 and it now plays no problem. If you are prepared to overclock and depending on the case you want you can build one for a relatively small amount.

6. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers inzaman. If I am going to go to the trouble of building then I would defo build it with enough power. Out of interest, what do you reckon to the nvida codecs and card? I am still veyr very un-decided on what card to go for. I keep hearing people with stutter problems and putitng it down to nvidia cards but then others say the nvidia codecs are brill. The Radeo 9600 I loooked at is only about£60 which seems to be a fair bit cheaper than the nividia.

Do you still have your Z2?

Cheers

Dave

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    The nvidia codes are great but you don't need an nvidia card to use them. A few comments I've seen would tend to suggest the picture improvement from using an nivida 6600GT is minimal and doesn't justify the cost over the 9600. My 9600 is coping perfectly well with Theatertek 2 in renderless VMR9 mode using Nvidia decoders and FFDShow which is all you need to worry about.

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Yes i still have my Z2.

As zAndy1 has said really, i too have a 9600 and use the nvidia codecs but with zoomplayer pro and ffdshow.

9. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    well, Zandy1 and Inzaman have totally confinzed me its going to be a 9600 then.

Cheers

Inzaman, what PJ you going to use in your new den then?

Cheers