What should / how should I buy my first car

Hi guys

I'm looking to buy my first ever car, i have a budget of around £2,500 max and ZERO idea where to start.

I've looked on auto trader and they have quite a lot in my budget but they could be selling me a write off so i have no idea what to check for, so was thinking of a dealer if they are any good.

I'm looking for a car to go to shopping, meet friends and nip around town. It's just me and maybe a lady friend / daughter

So in short could anyone recommend a direction to head that would be much appreciated

eg is it better to go to a dealer up north, better local deal, better to get it delivered any thoughts greatly appreciated

nvingo

Distinguished Member
D

Deleted member 27989

I think you need to narrow it down a little. What type of car do you fancy. You can get a lot of cars in that budget from very small to very large, from two seater coupe to convertibles.

Hiya I'm looking for something to go to food shopping footballer and generally short journeys maybe maximum 1 hour each way and ideally five-door with a small engine maybe 1 L to 1.4 l

Was thinking golf ?

D

Deleted member 27989

Hiya I'm looking for something to go to food shopping footballer and generally short journeys maybe maximum 1 hour each way and ideally five-door with a small engine maybe 1 L to 1.4 l

Was thinking golf ?
A golf is always a good choice in my opinion.

oneman

You should be able to pick up a reasonable milage Honda Jazz for that price. Not sexy but we'll built and reliable.

nvingo

Distinguished Member

AMc

Distinguished Member
I've just traded a '58 plate Mark V golf GTi with 115K on the clock for £3,500.
Your budget would mean you'd be looking at a TDI or perhaps a 1.4l petrol mark V.
In that price range there are many more diesels Golfs than petrols from when I was looking for that car.

I loved my Golf, practical and comfortable and reliable in the most part.
But any car that's over 10 yrs old with over 100K on the clock could present you with a big bill for something. One of the reasons I sold mine was a quote of £700 for a routine replacement of the belts and water pump - due every 4 years. Not doing that could have resulted in a failure and an even bigger bill/uneconomic to repair vehicle.

As above - a dealer will give you the most "rights" but bear in mind the cost of having it on the forecourt isn't much different from a £10,000 car so you're paying a greater % of fixed costs + profit to the dealer vs the actual car on the £2,500 car.
Some dealers can also be slippery when it comes to a faulty car - again with small profits they're going to lose money if you bring it back a couple of times.

As you say it's your first car then my first point would be to get some insurance quotes based on the registrations you can see on Autotrader. You may have a shock when you find out what they want and need to go for something smaller.

As for the actual buying - do you know anyone who can come with you to look at some?
At £2,500 you're buying mostly on condition of the actual vehicle, mileage and service history.
I'd prefer to buy a car with fewer keepers and full service history than a lower mileage car without a history. Someone with an interest in cars should be able to spot a turkey or at least ring the alarm bells.

If you're worried about buying a repaired/unrepaired write off then there are online services that can tell you about the car - credit outstanding etc.

I've just traded a '58 plate Mark V golf GTi with 115K on the clock for £3,500.
Your budget would mean you'd be looking at a TDI or perhaps a 1.4l petrol mark V.
In that price range there are many more diesels Golfs than petrols from when I was looking for that car.

I loved my Golf, practical and comfortable and reliable in the most part.
But any car that's over 10 yrs old with over 100K on the clock could present you with a big bill for something. One of the reasons I sold mine was a quote of £700 for a routine replacement of the belts and water pump - due every 4 years. Not doing that could have resulted in a failure and an even bigger bill/uneconomic to repair vehicle.

As above - a dealer will give you the most "rights" but bear in mind the cost of having it on the forecourt isn't much different from a £10,000 car so you're paying a greater % of fixed costs + profit to the dealer vs the actual car on the £2,500 car.
Some dealers can also be slippery when it comes to a faulty car - again with small profits they're going to lose money if you bring it back a couple of times.

As you say it's your first car then my first point would be to get some insurance quotes based on the registrations you can see on Autotrader. You may have a shock when you find out what they want and need to go for something smaller.

As for the actual buying - do you know anyone who can come with you to look at some?
At £2,500 you're buying mostly on condition of the actual vehicle, mileage and service history.
I'd prefer to buy a car with fewer keepers and full service history than a lower mileage car without a history. Someone with an interest in cars should be able to spot a turkey or at least ring the alarm bells.

If you're worried about buying a repaired/unrepaired write off then there are online services that can tell you about the car - credit outstanding etc.
That's brilliant thanks q lot , I've got a friend who is a mechanic and would charge a call out inspection fee , so that would help me to avoid any turkeys and yeah maybe you're right if I up my budget a little .

I enjoy fixing things and used to do the odd bits on my ex-girlfriend car but now I need to take the plans and buy my own

Good idea about the 100000 miles what do you think about me by Suzuki or Ford Fiesta, Honda jazz seems to pop up a lot

oneman

That's brilliant thanks q lot , I've got a friend who is a mechanic and would charge a call out inspection fee , so that would help me to avoid any turkeys and yeah maybe you're right if I up my budget a little .

I enjoy fixing things and used to do the odd bits on my ex-girlfriend car but now I need to take the plans and buy my own

Good idea about the 100000 miles what do you think about me by Suzuki or Ford Fiesta, Honda jazz seems to pop up a lot
100,000 miles isn't a huge issue if the car has been well looked after but 50,000 may be a lot for a car badly looked after.

Fiesta is a good choice, I've had a few and touch wood no major issues. There are tons about which keeps the price low but that is also the problem, finding a good one in the sea of bad ones. If you know somebody who can look at the car then its worth considering.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Do an HPI check on any potential car you are going to hand your money over on.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Do an HPI check on any potential car you are going to hand your money over on.
Use vcheck. Official HPI check doesn’t go back far enough when checking history.

mjn

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom