1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should be done about Iran?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cmcg55, Oct 27, 2005.

1. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... specifically, what should the response be to the Iranian President's remarks that "Israel must be wiped from the map"?

Israel is already demanding Iran be expelled from the UN (which doesn't sound much of a punishment to me - kinda like being asked to leave a party you never wanted to go to).

2. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    wipe all middle east countrys off the map i say

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    :boring:

Sorry, but nothing will happen. Bush don't wanna start WWIII now does he? Anyway, he's got too much on his plate. Iraq is becoming more than a stain on his presidency, so he won't risk nothing

As for Blair saying "its completely unacceptable" and "risks making people believe they really are a threat to world security" is just rhetoric. Blair must hold the british public in contempt if he tries anything with Iran

Sorry to turn this to a Blair-bashing thread. Just really hate that smug, smirky face

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Kill the ****ers!! Nuke the worl/d its the sonly solution!!!!!

5. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i just hope us british dont get involved or any countrys near us for that matter.

nuclear weapons can wipe away about half the earth :rolleyes:

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sound advice.

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    youve reaad my previous tgread!

the whle workd sould go out on the ****!!!

that would solve everthint!!!

I swear special egfffect son films lookd wourse wehne you re drunk!

8. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Vote Games Guru :rotfl: :laugh:

will you legalise :smoke: if you get in

9. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,221
    thats a nice way of respecting other countries and people.

10. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,221
    well as long as your not in the middle east when they nuke that you should be ok ( this is if your advice was followed)

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing should be done about Iran. At least, nothing above diplomacy.

I'm no wishy-washy liberal pacifist, but equally, I don't support a call to arms in response to rhetoric like that from Iran, Britain or any other nation.

As for the Israel/Palestine issue, it boils down to this, IMO: They don't want peace, they each want their own way. It's childish, it's pathetic, and it's the foremost threat to international political stability that we citizens of this earth currently face. It's literally the tinderbox that reignites trouble across the Middle East again and again. And it's not just we in the West who suffer - our Arab and Israeli brothers and sisters suffer needlessly, too.

Or am I being a bit too serious?

12. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,221
    i think that was brilliantly written, and i couldnt agree more. furthermore if other members are treating a situation like this as a joke , i dont find it funny,

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, if nuclear war did break out, don't think there'd be much of a planet left to enjoy for those not vapourised. Google for the likely effects of a nuclear winter, and see how the experts predict how our weather systems would punish us all for our ignorance.

14. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Erm... just completely ignore the insignificant little man?

what's his name again?? Anyone know?

15. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    No point getting all serious about something we have no say in Shadez... in all essence it is a bit of a joke really.... Iran says israel should be wiped from the face of the map..... Good job he didn't call Cherie Blair a slag, or worse... :D

Worst case scenario, If Iran nuke anybody it will be the US, and they'll never even get close anyway.

besides which, so much as a peep out of them and we all know what happens.
    Iraq occupation may have turned into a bit of a disaster, but don't ever forget just how quickly we steam-rollered through the baddest bad guy in town when we had to, and not a Nuke in sight.. ;)

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In shadez's defence (now there's a choice word), it is serious, whether we have a say or not. We'd think a little differently about it if on any ordinary day, someone got on a bus and blew themselves up in one of our major cities ... er, hang on ...

Seriously, though, if we lived with the constant threat of random, extreme violence on our streets every day, and the possibility that our houses coud be bulldozed without us having anywhere else to go, we'd probably see things a bit more ... well, seriously.

As for attacking Iran: easy peasy for the US. Loads of troops and armour conveniently stationed on the doorstep in Iraq. I said to a colleague six months ago that it would be a bit of a coincidence if Bush took a pop at neighbouring Iran while his boys are on tour ... and, oh look, it might just happen yet.

Bottom line: George Bush's foreign policy is like a retarded kid playing with a wasps' nest ...

17. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,221
    i know what you mean , but i just think anyone from the middle east reading a comment like what oxygen posted would take offence to it. lets hope nobody nukes each other.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    iran doesnt have nukes though, they are just trying nuclear fission ;)

19. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,221
    a freind of mine said that Iran would be next on Bush's agenda, when he said this ages ago, i thought he was being paranoid. feel a bit ignorant now!

20. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't. The only ignorant folk in this world are those who think war will ever help to solve our problems.

Mind you, Christ did say: 'I bring not peace, but a sword ...'

21. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Iran's been up there on the 'bad guys' list for a long time now, it's just that the list has been shortened by 1 quite recently, and so now they're joint top.. :thumbsup:

Cue Iran suddenly going all Phil Mitchell on us, and big Tony warning them to stop staring at his missus.. :D

It's really just like Eastenders, only nowhere near as well scripted...

22. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah: Iran/North Korea = Axis of Evil.

Talk about giving a dog a bad name ...

23. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    You called your dog 'Axis of Evil' ? :confused:

24. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. I called it Colin. It's only later that I discovered how many hard men there are in my local area who are called Colin. Walking around the park shouting at my dog, 'Colin, you bloody idiot! Come here!' earned me more than a few smacks in the mouth.

I jest, of course ... :D

25. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    Looks like the feedback from the Euro3 talks and a report by the IAEA are hopefully being sent to the UN Security Council. This has failed in the past because of reluctance from Russia and China. Russia doesn't seem wildly impressed this time around and I am hopeful that the Chinese might behave logically as well. Multi lateral sanctions might be effective.

You have to hope so because a large smoking hole where Tel Aviv used to be is going to improve nobody's day.

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Bush will do whatever God tells him to do. He's on a mission.

And we worry about Islamic religious fanatics ! Who's the one with the nukes ? :rolleyes:

27. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    It was an utterly foolish thing to say, and once again you wonder what goes on in the heads of these people. Did he think this would really rally the 'Muslim World' to Irans cause?

On the flipside I notice that the reaction to Irans leader saying the mirror opposite to Sharons "I would like to see the Palestians wiped from the face of this Earth" is a little different to that which met Sharon.

........or it might solve a whole load of issues. Frankly my sympathy is all used up with the Israelis - govt that is. However, there are lots of decent, ordinary, people living In Israel who want no part of the violence, the hate, and ignorance from their own govt, never mind the Palestinians. For them I feel a deep sorrow that they've been left a legacy of hate from 60 years of conflict, when the whole idea was to give them a homeland in which they could live in peace. For that we have to take some of the blame.

Iran meanwhile, is a smoking gun that needs subtle handling, and Bush's heavy handed blundering isn't it.

28. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I recently spent a week on business in the Middle East. The short tour included Kuwait City, Dubai and Tehran where I was due to visit a number of major ship owner/operators.

Before I went, I was happy about the first two ports of call but was more than a little concerned about Iran. This wasn't helped by my wife wailing "I don't want you to die!" whenever the subject came up.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Kuwait and Dubai are two of the worst places I have ever been to. Despite being blessed with huge natural resources and wealth, there is almost zero investment in the country. The locals are literally raping the land with no thought for future generations. They have next to no respect for outsiders although the lack of respect shown to myself and my colleague was nothing compared to the contempt they openly show to the many bangladeshi and indian immigrants whom they treat little better than slaves with absolutely zero worker's rights.

Compare this to Iran, a country that could NOT have been more welcoming. Sure, it's a little tattered around the edges, but they are so friendly and are really making an effort to improve after years of war and sanctions. Strangers come up to you to engage in conversation, people you've never met before offer you food and drink and ask how Tehran compares to the way it is portrayed in the western-media, businesses apologise deeply for the fact that ramadan prevents them from offering any hospitality.

They are fully aware that they are thought of as a centre of evil yet they welcome western visitors with open arms. Despite longstanding trade sanctions, they are investing massive amount of money in their own country, enhancing and adding to the wealth of ancient history which exists wherever you look. The organisations I visited were literally gushing in their praise that I had come all the way from London to assist and show support to my company's local office. In Kuwait this wasn't even acknowledged!

And their businesses are hungry for success. Not in a cut-out-all-excess-expenditure sort of way but in a speculate-to-accumulate way. Their management of their merchant shipping industry is years ahead of much of western europe. They are literally leading the way and are reaping the rewards.

I could go on but it's enough to say that I will happily be going back to Tehran again and will be looking to extend my time there. Why anyone would choose to go to Dubai on holiday is truly beyond me. The facade may be nice but scratch beneath the veneer and it's rotten.

Sure, criticise governments, or individuals within governments, but don't write off entire nations of people through sheer ignorance.

29. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    ooww you little liar he never did !!

He said something about " bring me not a peice, but the whole swordfish "
    We were doing tequilla slammers at the time in a restaurant bar.

then he said soemthing about the poor workmanship of the bar top and " they don't make em like they used to " ..... and then feel off his stool and passed out on the floor.

Just another example of the press and public misquoteing people, changing important details and compeltely making up stories. That sermon on the mount thing for example ... it was just some of us lads having a kick around in the park while JC was refereeing, he lectured Tony on the off side rule for ten minutes and it just gets blown all out of proportion.

More laws to restrict the press I say !

30. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Set off explosives to detach a large section of the Antarctic ice shelf

Causing a critical inbalance in sea salination levels

Causing the stalling of the Atlantic current

Causing the start of another ice age

Causing a migration of populations south

Causing Iran to be overtaken by outsiders

Causing fast food restaurants to be set up in Iran so killing indigenous population not used to such contamination.