1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what shalll i buy

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scuggy, May 2, 2005.

1. scuggy

scuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi every one
    i`m a complete noob to all of this,i`ve just completed my home cinema room(5mx2.8m)with a max throw of 4m on to a wall of 2.4m width, there is no ambient daylight into the room, the walls are painted cream and i have borrowed an infocus lp530 (2000ansi and 400:1 ratio) from work just to see what hapens, I was stuned at the results considering it was on a vinyl silk white emulsion wall
    I have about £1200 to spend on a full set up including sound and video and will be mainly using it for dvd`s and the occasional computer use and a bit of xbox.could anyone point me in the right direction on what to buy,i have priced the toshiba and epson cheapies and are considering these, or should i go for something else, no one seeems to mention benq or acer which i can find on the net with a high spec at low cost, Is there aproblem with these makes, I realy need some direction as an entry level enthusiast, all replys appreciated.

thanks Scuggy :lease:

2. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lots of choices... check out www.projectorcentral.com as it is a good place to look at the top rated projectors by budget. i would personally also consider the panasonic ae700 and the sanyo z3..... good luck

3. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Your probably better looking at something like an Epson TW10h at about 600, as these get a great write up for the price, and getting something like a Denon DHT500SD DVD Home cinema systems about £420 from superfi, a screen, DRH do good screens fairly cheaply £105 - £150 and a spend the rest of the cash on cables.

Good luck with it

4. scuggy

scuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys, I must admit i was looking at the epson, but didn`t know how they compared to the Benq models as they seem to have a higher spec on lumens and contrast ratio and are only about 200 extra compared with the panny and sony models at about 400 extra

any further coments appreciated

scuggy :)

5. drunknmunky

drunknmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey think about how much the lamps are gonna cost to replace at the min epson is very cheap

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Also look at the Infocus 4805 and the Optoma H30a. Both these are aimed squarely at Home Cinema and having already viewed the Infocus lp530, the problem of rainbows should not be an issue with DLP projectors for you. They are not as bright as the model you have tried, but have contrast ratios of 2200:1 and 3000:1 respectively which will result in a much more dynamic, 3 dimensional image than the washed out bright image you've already seen.