1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What shall I do?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aldavies, Oct 28, 2004.

1. aldavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I have been in turmoil for weeks trying to decide whether to get an av amp+dvd player, an all in one, or an ordinary hi fi amp with cd or dvd player. My main concern is for good stereo cd playback, but I thought I might as well get some benefit from my new system when playing movies. I have a budget of approx £800-£1000. I already have a sony dvd player which is about 2 1/2 years old, but I suspect that it wouldn't be good enough for my cd music, even with a good av amp. Am I right?
  2. Nobber22

Jun 6, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Depends on your point of reference. Do you currently use another setup for your music? Have you tried to listen to music on the Sony? Music on the Sony won't be fantastic, but will DEFINATELY sound better than an all-in-one. Avoid!

How many speakers do you have right now? 2? Are you thinking of going 5.1 or just staying with stereo? If 2 is enough, then a midrange stereo amp and cd player is a great way to spend £1000. You can then play DVD's on the Sony through the stereo amp and still get most of the enjoyment out of the film, with no loss of CD quality. Someone may well jump in here and recommend a good DAC while you use the Sony as a CD transport, but that's another story. Interested, check out the DAC sticky in the System thread a bit lower down.....

Yourbiggest problem will be finding an AV amp under £1000 which sounds good in stereo. Arcam AVR200 is just about "there" and many makers are swiftly catching up. None will match a good £500 stereo amp just yet. :)