1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Shall I do my the rears ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Montana, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a quite specific problem at the moment.It's mainly due to the positioning of my rears.As with most of our home cinema setups they are in a room that doubles for other functions, like family lounge , dining room etc etc etc.Now due to the positioning of other furniture in our lounge my rear speakers are directly behind my seating position and they are 7' to 9' behind us,also we can't have the surrounds to the side of us as there is an alcove one side and french windows the other.The make and model number of my rears are Monitor Audio Sfx.
    The rest of my kit is a AX5i receiver , B&W 602s3 mains , B&W LCR60 centre , and Velodyne SPL 1200.Now I have got the technical side out of the way, the problem that I am having is that I don't seem to be getting much sound from the rears, even when I am listening to rear specific sounds on DVD's.I have set the amp up on the auto settings using MCACC.Even when using test tones the sound that I am getting is a little quiet.One other thing that I should mention is that I have the the speaker connection configuration in line and NOT crossed over, making it in phase and more direct.
    From what I can gather , I can either do something with the setting on the amp (which I don't know what ?) , or I can get some other rears (more expense, and these Sfx's look nice on the wall) which I didnt really want to do.
    Sorry for the long waffle,and jumping around with information, any and ALL hope would be most welcome :thumbsup: .

Andy

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    7 to 9 feet away from you? That's an awfully long way away. If I were you I'd see if you can get some direct radiating speakers and put them on stands behind your sofa, away from the rear wall. If changing your speaker is not an option, then try turning down your main front speakers and turning up the levels on the rears. Then you can achieve the same volume, but a better balanced sound at a higher overall volume setting.

3. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes thats right 7' to 9' feet away, but then again I don't want speakers right behind the sofa and chair, as they would be in the middle of the room.
    Have you (or anyone else) got any idea how I can change the settings on my receiver so I can balance the rears with the rest of my speakers ?
    OR do I really need to change them to a lot better speaker to get a real difference ?

Andy

4. Bill

Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  5. Bill

Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  6. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply Bill , that was exactly what I was looking for.It has made a LOT of difference to the way the soundstage sounds :clap: .Because of how far back my surrounds are from the listening position, I've had to turn the DB to +6.0 and +6.5 for the surround left and right respectively.This may seem over the top, but the delay is spot on and it arrives at the right spot, and the distance is again my major problem ( or was ).
    There was me thinking that I may have to buy other speakers to make the difference.All this would have done would me expecting a marked improvement and only getting (roughly) the same results, and more expense.
    All this leads to a few points, firstly is :rtfm: , which is we all know is we as men (excuse me ladies, mainly a male orientated forum) we never read the manual, until something isn't right.Next is the MCCAC isn't always perfect, but it can't allow for every situation.Lastly , there is always normally someone else that has had a similar situation and can lend a hand when needed.So all in all Hooray for the forums.
    Many Thanks.

Andy