1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what setup would be best (speakers)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by plex, Aug 15, 2002.

1. plex

plex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm about to buy some new speakers which will be used from mixing.

I was thinking about getting a pair of floor standing spekers but i'm not too sure if I will be able to hear the music direct enough as most floor standing speakers are not that high and when I mix I stand up as that how high my decks are.

So my other option would be to buy some floor standing speakers but also buy some little bookshelf speakers to put on the wall directly facing me.

Another thing I could do is put the floor standing speakers on stands so the sound would be level with my ear's.

Do you guy's think I will be ok with just the floorstanding speakers for mixing or should I also buy some book cheap bookself speakers? or even just buy a good pair or bookself speakers on their own? or maybe buy floor standing speakers on put them on stands.

Any help would be great.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I see from your other post you are looking at M73 floorstanders. I've got 'em and they are good for dance tunes. however when I used them for mixing (placed on the side and a bit in front of my decks firing left to right) they were a bit harder to hear. I reckon it's because the tweeter is below the woofer and therefore the sound isn't coming "up" enough. I prefer a set of bookshelf speakers on 60cm stands and a model with the tweeter at the top. KEF Cresta 2's and B&W 601 S2's have worked well for me. If the speakers are firing right at you from about 8 ft or more, then any floorstander should be fine.

However don't be tempted to use two sets of speakers. The sound just sounds muddled and strains your amp too if it isn't a really powerful box.

3. plex

plex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So do you think the M73 would be ok on stands then.
    The reason I like the M73's is becuase they are also shielded and They will be close to my tv and monitor.