Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Question What settings to use for my Pro-ject Tube box DS? (on old turntable)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by greysky, Jan 3, 2018.

1. greysky

greysky
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm new here and very much entry-level (in knowledge and budget) when it comes to audio equipment. I am looking for some help setting up my old turntable with my new phono pre amp (if it will indeed work at all).

This is my equipment:
    Akai AP-M3 full auto turntable with RS-3* stylus
    Pro-ject Tube box DS phono Preamplifier
    Denon 1906 amp

I have read the manual of the akai AP-M3 and there is no information on what the input capacitance or input impedance is. Is setting the preamp at 47kohms as the manual suggests is one setup for an MM cartridge ok? Or am I totally wrong here.

Look forward to some help :)

*The stylus is described as "induced Magnet Type", which from my understading is different from MM and MC type cartridges. So my settings for the Tube box DS should be closer to that of a turntable with MM cartridges?

2. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I would just use whatever defaults the tube box manual suggests - probably suggested values for the ortofon 2m red will be fine in the absence of any other info.

You may want to think about replacing the turntable and cartridge when you can to get the most from the pre-amp. Something from project or rega perhaps.

3. greysky

greysky
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the swift reply. I think default is just leaving out all the dipswitches. Will let you know how i get on. If you could kindly recommend me a decent turntable that would also be great! What turntable and cartridge would work best with my setup and get the most out of the pre-amp? (which is the most expensive part of my setup). MM or MC cartridges? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  4. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Better for someone more familiar with current offerings to respond on which decks/cartridges etc.

I also think that perhaps rather than jumping in you may want to think about the rest of your gear and if it is your eventual plan to upgrade amp, speakers etc and if so, how much you might want to spend for all / on each etc. A decent turntable to get you going would be around 300 with a perfectly acceptable but basic MM cartridge in it, but it may not significantly change what you hear due to the AVR/Speakers.

Its great to have a good source, but to get your money's worth from it, you need everything else to be good enough to retain whatever detail the cartridge and turntable extracts from the record.