What settings do I need to set AC3 Filter to to output raw 5.1

Enjoysmoviesandgames

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a home theater pc with a 5.1 terratec sound card. It is connected via an optical out to my Sony reciever that has a decoder etc built in.

All I want is for the soundcard to output a signal that the receiver can decode into 5.1 - ac3?

At the moment my reciever keeps saying - pcm detected - rather than doldy digital 5.1

Any idea what settings I need to enable/disable?

I have both versions of ac3 filter but camt seem to make it work The terratec soundcard has spdif enabled.

Set the video player software to spdif out, only have one version of ac3 filter installed, and set that to spdif and under system as preferred decoder for ac3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers. I am using windows media player to play the files but I cant seem to find that option to play in spdif?

ellisbailey said:
Cheers. I am using windows media player to play the files but I cant seem to find that option to play in spdif?
Yes you are right - nor can I!
If you playback a file that has an ac3 soundtrack, if AC3 filter is the only codec on your pc to play it, or it has been set to be given priority - it shoud automatically be picking up the settings from there.

Under main my settings are Output 3/2 + SW 5.1 channel / PCM 24 bit / tick in box SPDIF (disabled) Under System tab Use AC3 filter for PCM and AC3 / SPDIF passthru AC3 ticked / and tick in Prefer AC3 filter under filter merit. AC3 filter version 1.01a

Cheers deleted member for your help. Despite my best efforts and setting ac3 filter up exactly as above, divx files that I know are endoced with ac3 will still not play as ac3 via pc.

However, I am able to play standard dvd`s on my harddrive via power dvd in full ac3 so I know my pc can do it so I have decided to do it this way rather than covert the rest of my dvd library onto divx.

What I need now is a media front like meedio etc that will enable to to select my films and then launch power dvd to play in 5.1. See other thread.

Cheers

That's odd - it works ok for me - the only thing I can think of is whether you have other codecs installed that are interfering with ac3 filter...?

I would have to agree with you. I think that over the last few days I have installed that many different codecs etc that some are probably lyiong around somewhere interfering with it!!!

Still, at least dvds work via power dvd. I just want some kind of dvd jukebox / simple htpc frontend that will launch powerdvd as the default player in 5.1 - any suggestions?

I use MCE with the nvidia purevideo codec. You could use PowerDVD instead with it - and the My Movies plug in would give you good film 'jukebox' facility.

I cant get AC3 Filter to output in 5.1 either and I was about to post the same question.

5.1 works fine for DVDs but not divx in media player / mce

johnny said:
I cant get AC3 Filter to output in 5.1 either and I was about to post the same question.

5.1 works fine for DVDs but not divx in media player / mce

Its infuriating isnt it!

In the end I tried a different dvd player - theatertek dvd - and it plays dvds and divx in full 5.1 - hoorah

I still cant set meedio though to allow me to use thetertek as my default player in 5.1 so at the moment I cant use any nice frontend software which is annoying.

As a follow-up, i installed the latest version that lisa mentioned and copied the settings and it works! now have glorious 5.1 on my divx within MCE.

hmmm, as a follow up, I now dont get DD5.1 output on any DVDs, just PCM.

*sheesh*

if its not one thing, its something else...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom