1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sets DVD apart from VHS ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by TonyPervis, Dec 5, 2001.

1. TonyPervis

TonyPervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What in your opinion are the best reason/s that sets DVD apart from VHS.

I'm not trying to be funny, but am writing and reseaching the history of dvd for high school and also need to survey enthusiasts for it, on the above, rather easy question. Would greatly appreciate any replies a bit longer than 3 or 4 words, or links to any other pages that list great reasons without getting too ultra - technical.

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I can think of three reasons DVD out performs VHS.
    1/ Anamorphic DVD's hold greater resolution filling and widescreen TV with the correct ratio screen size with little or no loss of picture quality. Although films on VHS could be formated this way theyre not. As it needs a switch on the TV to make the image the correct shape which alot of people dont have. All DVD players have this switch automaticaly intalled.
    2/ VHS hasn't the capacity to hold the extra Digital sound tracks a modern movie will have. This comes in two formats Dolby Digital or its rival DTS. I tend to agree that DTS has the edge when it comes to sound quality.
    3/ Ease of use. A DVD has all the convienience of a CD. No need to rewind once the movie has stopped. Smaller then a VHS tape and easier to store.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    - Better picture quality - by a mile - most noticeable on large screens
    - The ability to offer anamorphic signal which improves picture quality even further for those with the right TV, but can be "switched off" for those that don't - it's this last bit (only) that prevents VHS from carrying anamorphic - again - most noticeable on large screens
    - better sound quality - by a mile
    - better sound formats - eg DD5.1, DTS etc., and multiple languages
    - virtually instant chapter access
    - no rewind, or fast forward to find any extras on the tape after the film
    - no risk of accidental erase or from leaving software near to magnetic sources like loudspeakers
    - mechanically more robust - no physical contact between the laser and the disc surface (unlike playback heads on VHS which wear the tape)
    - subtitles - switchable and multiple languages
    - extras - trailers, featurettes, making of..... etc (not impossible on VHS, but rarely supplied)

any more?

4. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I used to have loads of VHS but was getting fed up with the sound and picture quality. When my brother bought one of those first Samsung's with Crimson Tide I was hooked straight away. Without a doubt the reasons for me are:

Imporoved picture and sound

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    No loss of picture/sound quality with repeated viewings - unlike vhs!

Make good frisbees!! unlike vhs tapes which dont!:D

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, I never had a thing for videos/VHS. Though one day I managed to talk my parents into buying one (a stereo model even) we hardly used it, virtually never rented or bought a tape and recorded less tapes then I have fingers on both hands.
    Then I bought my first DVD player and the rest became history (see my entry in the Galery) ... great picture and sound, quick access to any point on the disc and very handy.
    Haven't missed the recording function but I think I would prefer a PVR/HDR (TiVo or something like that) later anyway ...

7. Paul490

Paul490

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me, it is:

• Choice.
    • Ease to buy off the Internet.
    • Better picture quality
    • Better sound quality.
    • More extras.
    • Easier to get banned films on DVD than on VHS.
    • Able to watch them in the correct original aspect ratio.
    • Smaller.
    • Nicer to look at.
    • Won't deteriorate.

So, a lot of little reasons really. It's also very strange that to buy a DVD from Australia will cost, say, £13.50, when the same or, in some cases, better DVD is £20 in the UK.

DVDs are also very addictive as well... :( ;)

8. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might also be worth remembering that DVD is probably the first format to be produced in conjunction with the film studios – IIRC they were asked for their wish list with regard to a potential format – hence relatively sturdy copy protection was built in.

Its also the first format to be able to take advantage from day one of the advances in film and home technology – eg recognition of 16:9 tvs and multi channel surround sound (although LD of course was first, it recquired a clever tweaking of the standard).

No analysis of the format can be complete without recognising the huge success of CD and the commercial necessity therefore for the usage of the 5inch disc format, and also the flaws in the VCD “push” in the early 90s – ie offered little genuine advantage over tape and was markedly inferior to LD.

There is the issue of whether DVD is a premature technology and whether it should have been delayed to allow the usage of green or blue lasers – offering large capacities for recording or ultimately the capacity for hi-def. Indeed the low transfer rate of DVDs is a drawback when storing 50 or 60 field video originated material as opposed to 24fps film.

A study should also examine the rival standards first mooted – IIRC 3M were the proponents of multi layer discs, with Sony pushing double sided discs. Simmering resentment from the Sony/Philips monopoly of the CD patents also played a part in this and lives on to this day with the multi format debacle with recordable DVD and the split in the advanced audio camps with SACD and DVDA. Ultimately I suspect we are not looking at a Beta/VHS re run as physically the discs are the same size and combi players will be the norm within 18-24 months.

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me, the improvements over VHS are:

Anamorphic widescreen
    correct aspect ratio
    DD5.1/DTS audio

The extras etc are nice but not as important as above.