1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What set to buy?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Squiffy, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,813
    Well the time has finally come - I can afford to replace our Hitachi 32" WS TV with something a bit nicer.

I've looked the possibility of getting an RPTV in the past - see here - but light considerations and an enthusiastic two year old screen banger make this a no go. :(

Budget is around £2.5k - I could stretch to £3k only if an exceptional deal was available.

I want as large a screen as possible, plus furniture / stand for it to go on and to put my sources on.

Sources I currently have are Sky Digital (replace with Sky+ eventually), XBox, GameCube and a bog standard Nicam VCR. If I can be convinced the picture returns are worth it I could return my Pioneer DV 717 to the front room rather than have the XBox as a DVD player.

I don't know much about things like Progressive Scan and how I could use them with my sources - but if I can get it within budget and make use of it easily then I'm interested.

Sound is important - I don't have a receiver or speakers currently so anything would be a step up from my current TV. I don't want to overload the plugpoints so I'd like to avoid a separate set of receiver/speakers.

I'm a real novice at this, despite lurking for a few months on these fora. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
  3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,813
    Hmm, it does look a bargain, but I think it would probably be less two-year-old-proof than a RPTV.

I think I might wait for a 36” KV-36FQ80 when I can find a shop that stocks them, and when I know there will be no SB problem.

Thanks for the link.

4. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What is the difference between the 36FS76 and the 36FQ80?

Thanks,
    Matt.

5. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    oops posted to wrong thread! :( sorry.