1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what seperate cd player to buy???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by technovorgin, Jul 22, 2004.

1. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have the h/k dvd 25 and 5550 amp now am thinking about a cd player i would like a h/k but have run out of funds i can possibly scrape £150 together (when the wifes asleep 'borrow' it from purse lol)
    im not oposed to second hand and ive looked in the sales thread but nothing there (h/k to match if poss)
    any ideas please

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Techno even adding a dedicated CD player to your system, you have the following problems for stereo reproduction :

Your using a AV Int Reciever (Not known for their musical abilities) Limited stereo pre-amp ability
    Kef 2005.2 speakers again are more suited to AV/Film use than music.

You could try a couple of things to see what you think, like using the DACs of your reciever for CD duties, ie pipe the digital signal into your AV amp and let its convert to analogue. But with a AV based system like you have music playback will suffer. For the future though why not consider a DAC, you have a perfectly able CD transport in that, piped to a DAC (You can get some nice ones for £150) much better way of spending £150 IMHO.

Future routes you may have to take : Stereo amp via pre-outs from your AV amp, decent sized speakers (stand mounts or floorstanding), CD player or DAC from your DVD-V player.

HTHs

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    agree wholeheartedly with CJRoss. HK's own cd players aren't that much cop, so you would be better off sending one of the digital outputs of your dvd player into a separate DAC, which will result in a much more natural, musical sound. Leave the other digital output piped into the amp for DTS/DD etc.

4. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so i go dvd player to dac to amp to speakers ?
    had a root about but just got more confused :confused:
    what dac do you recomend (black to go with rest of gear)

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Techno

I would not bother with an offboard DAC (ie a new seperate unit) until :

Your change you stereo pre-amp facilties (ie new stereo amp)
    Upgarde your speakers to something more “music” orientated. (ie new speakers)

These factors being addressed then by all means consider a DAC off your HK25 rather than a Int CD player.

The suggestions I made about using the DACs of your HK AV Receiver was purely to see if you notice any change in CD playback from the DVD-V player. Rather than have the conversions done in the players DACs ( and send down a set of anlg ICs to your amp & amp CD line input) you would simply run a coaxial or toslink cable from DVD player to amp, then let AV Amps DAC convert to anlg the signal from CD & DVD-V. These should sound different, then its up to you to see which one your prefer.

The main point of my post was to steer you away from adding an Int CD player to the kit you already own, your system is hindered in stereo ability at present due to being a AV setup, adding a CD player [or even a DAC] will not make up the the disparity IMHO.

ATB & HTHs

6. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i was under the impresion i could use my amp as a stereo out ie: i have extra speaker outlets i can nominate for another device i thought i could get a pair of speakers and a cd player and that would be it but now im more confused than ever :confused:
    acording to the place i bought the amp from this amp is good enough to do this, if this is not the case ill take it back and kick his ass :devil:
    any thoughts ?

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Techno

Let me exaplin this is very basic lanquage and no offence to you if you know this already :

Many sub £1000 AV Int Reciever are not very good at stereo reproduction they are predominantly aimed at 5.1 fans ie AV use, the “fronts” pre-amp in these av int amps is not as good as even a cheap stereo amplifier, this is down the AV 5.1 preamp, no matter what you do if your listening to your 5500 and using its preamp for stereo use, this is the stumbling block dude. No matter how many speakers you connect up “separately” as your dealers states (incorrectly IMHO)

Go and do a search above and in the amplifier forum for “pre-outs” and conencting a AV Amp to a Stereo amp via pre – outs plenty of good reading for your there to exapnd your knowlegde of AV Pres in stereo mode.

ATB

8. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    CJ Ross, i have the model below technovirgins' HK and its not at all bad as a stereo amplifier. Certainly up with a £150-200 Marantz amp we have at work. Certainly good enough to tell the difference between a DVD with integrated dac and a DVD with a standalone dac. Haven't heard much of the Kef 2005s, but have a feeling they might show up the difference. As for speaker recommendations, Epos ELS3s are my current faves around £200 or Mordaunt Short Avant 902s around £150