What Screen ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GlasgowGary, Jan 1, 2003.

1. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still not got my Sony HT10 at home yet, but I'm now thinking about screens and would appreciate some advice as to what to look for and what not. Someone at the local Sony shop said you should avoid extremely white screens as the contrast would be too deep. I'll be using a wall 13ft wide and 9ft high for the screen and my projector will be approx 16-18 ft away.

Again, any advice/information/recommendations are always greatly appreciated.

Gary

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Wow..."extremely white"...is that a special DULUX shade?:)

Garry,

Gice us more info. Is the room going to be decorated in bright reflective colours or will it be dark matte walls and ceiling? Will everyone viewing image be sitting directly in front of screen or will some be off to the side. Will you be watching/trying to watch in daylight with curtains open?

There is an article on this site and on my own web site that explains about what's important when vchoosing a screen if ou want to read some background.

Gordon

3. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for taking the time to reply Gordon, I'm basically using my sitting room/lounge which doesnt have any wacky/shiny colours(even though i'm a student) and I can close my curtains if watching during the day. The upper half of the room is painted Magnolia in a matt finish and everyone will more or less be able to view the screen head-on, only the distance from the screen will vary rather than the viewing angle(some [email protected] and [email protected]/18ft).

Thx again :)
    Gary

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Garry: If you have magnolia walls and white cleing and a bright projector then sometimes the use of grey screens can be a benefit in that some materials are good at stopping reflected ligt (from walls/ceiling) washing out the image on screen. If you consider that the walls and ceiling are essentially screens too you see that having them dark non reflective materials helps...alot.

Having said that and seeing your other posts I think that a good grey screen is going to e outwith your budget. So I'd go with a standard matte white screen of 1 or 1.2 gain. There are many suppliers of these things, myself included. I would be happy to quote for you if you email me at [email protected] Alternatively I'm sure others will chime in with their own preferred supplier.

Gordon

5. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0