1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Screen?????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dazca1, Sep 11, 2004.

1. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My head has been done in recently looking for a PJ and screen, I have decided on on the 4805 PJ but am still lost when it comes to the screen.
    I have just had a dem of the stuart firehawk with the 4805 and it was stunning, only thing is, cant afford this screen.

Was wondering if some of the other grey screens that are about are any good? Like Harkness Hall.

Seriously need help.
    I also had dem of of other white screens (stuart, dalite)which where nice but prfered the grey one as it seemed to produce a sharper image, though a little darker to look at than the white.

I need a 5 - 5 1/2 foot 16:9 fixed frame(pref in grey)
    Will be used in an dedicated room with controlled light(can be pitch black)
    budget is £2000 ish for both PJ and Screen

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Da-Lite do a 1.1 gain screen material (the FireHawk is 1.35), and I think that is the nearest you'll come to the Firehawk. It's called the High Contrast Cinema Vision. You may be able to get a sample from someone.

There are other grey screens, but I'm not sure what ones have a gain above unity.

You can save quite a bit of money by making your own frame from wood, stretching the material across it, and stapling or tacking it to the rear of the frame. I did this with some blackout cloth, and then later with some 1.2 gain 'proper' screen material.

HTH

Gary.