1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What screen size for new widescreen?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by digitaldave, Jan 15, 2003.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm thinking about getting a widescreen set to replace my current 28" 4:3 Pannasonic set. However, I'm not sure what screen size to go for :confused:. I've got NTL digital cable, so when watching TV there's a good mix of 4:3 and 16:9. Also, I watch a fair number of DVD's, the main reason for wanting to upgrade.

What I would like to know is, what size set should I go for? I originally thought that a 28" set would be a good idea, as they would give a larger widescreen picture than my current TV - however, the 4:3 picture would be smaller :(. So I'm now thinking that a 32" set would be better, as the widescreen programs would be even larger, and the 4:3 programs would be a similar size to what I have at the moment (I think ;) - can anyone confirm this?). If it helps, the sofa is around 3 metres from the TV at the moment.

Thanks for any advice :).

Regards,

Dave.

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I had a 28" 4:3 tv and upgraded to a 28" widescreen and it is fine for my room, but I think I sit closer than you do.
    As far as the 4:3 images being smaller most sets do a psuedo widescreen for 4:3 images so they will not seem small at all.
    Your best bet is to go as big as your room will allow!

3. childe

childe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dave, if you are interested, these are the dimensions of various screen sizes

25" 4:3 20.0"x15.0"
    28" 4:3 22.4"x16.8"
    28" 16:9 24.4"x13.7"
    32" 16:9 27.9"x15.7"
    36" 16:9 31.4"x17.6"

As you can see when you go widescreen (from 28" narrowscreen) you will lose height unless you go for larger than 32". With 28" widescreen you will lose 3" or 18% of your screen height.

For what its worth I have a Sony FS70 (36" widescreen) which I view from about 6', and it is brilliant. Quite an improvement over my old 25" narrowscreen. Also, I also have NTL digital and have found that most transmissions fill most or all of the screen, using the Smart mode which seems to be able to detect the optimum screen size.

4. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replys :).

@childe,

Thanks for the numbers - I tried working them out once, but my old maths skills seem to have deserted me ;) - very useful.

It looks like it's a 32" set then, as I don't want 4:3 broadcasts to be much smaller than they are now, and I can't really afford to go to 36". Now all I have to do is to find some candidate sets for less than £1000 :).

Regards,

Dave.

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hyperfi are advertising the sony 36fs70 for£899.00 in febs. what-hifi mag.