1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What screen position?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GavinBrowne, Nov 28, 2001.

1. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I would be interested to hear what everyone thinks of my plans.

I am looking for some opinions about how best to lay out my future HC room. It going to be a bit of an odd shape so I think I have 2 options given that I have already pretty much decided to go for a Barco Data 708 CRT. Ideally I would like to have an eight foot wide screen which means that it will have to be either in position A or B on the attached diagram. (excuse the quality but I just scanned it from the plans). I intend to use blackout blinds for the windows either way.

Either position will leave plenty of room for the ceiling mounted CRT to be far enough away from the screen to give an 8' wide image.

I see position A as being an electric screen so it can dissapear when not in use.

Or am I being silly in thinking it might be possible to use position B? I was thinking I might be able to buy or make a fixed panel screen which could be hinged to the wall at the top of the drawing and then folded against the top wall when not in use, (and covered with wallpaper on the back so that it virtually dissapears?).

[​IMG]

Has anyone tried this sort of arrangement before by hinging a screen against a wall and if so how successful was it? I was thinking that the fixed (hinged), screen might be better as it could be made very rigid. When opened out for use it could be locked at the opposite end to the other wall.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Gavin.

2. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`ve seen this sort of thing in a friends house and it works well,cheaper too;) don`t see any reason why it couldn`t work-and work well to.but maybe someone else knows better !
    i`ve got the same sort of problem,my HC room is going to be upstairs in an old stable conversion,so it has `camp` ceilings,no headroom for a crt:( and have the problem of how/where to mount the screen ,but i`ll find a way even if it kills me:D

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've seen it done two. there is no reason why an electric screen can't be put in either position.

I'd be curious to know where your centre speaker is going to go.

Could you not turn through 90 degress and use the width. This would then put the speakers against the wall.

I like the idea of wall paper on the back.

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin,
    I would be interested to know where ALL your speakers will go.

Can you give some info regarding the room dimesions. Is it safe to assume that line A and B are 8ft long?
    For now, I can tell you that even in a pitch black room an 8ft wide screen will be too big for the 708.
    Try and go down to 7ft. I've just finnished and install using a 92"x 52" electric Tab Tentioned Da-lite Cinemavison (1.3 gain) using a Brand New Barco Cine 7. While it was watchable, just, the image was not as snappy as I would have liked.

From the info you have given here, forget the hinge business and invest in a 7ft wide Tentioned Electric screen using position A.
    If line A is actually eight feet, using 7ft would mean you can also put the screen further back.

Eric

5. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and giving me some other options to think about.

So far I have been working on the premise that big is best, but perhaps I would be better scaling things down a bit if image brightness is going to be compromised by using an 8' screen.

I have also been wondering where the speakers are going to go.

The room dimensions (from the original architects plans) are 4.75m (from position A to position B) by 3.50m (across the width of the room). The red lines I have drawn onto the image are pretty close to 8' long.

Roland,

given that the files you sent me show a "screen to rear of projector distance" requirement of 343.7cm for a 7' screen, would that be too tight to go for a 7' screen across the room as you suggest in your reply? If this would work then it would seem to be the best option as it would indeed allow for almost perfect speaker placement. Or does the projector require free space behind it?

Uncle Eric,

Line A is pretty much 8' long but to be honest would that be enough for an 8' screen due to the larger width of the screen casing? So I assume if I was going to go for position A it would have to be a 7' electric screen to accomodate the casing?

If the 3.5m width of the room is enough to accomodate the 7' screen and the Barco is a fixed screen going to be better than an electric one?

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Its's a bit tight but given that 7ft wide screens aren't 7ft wide
    I don't think it will be a problem. It may be worth to reversing the air flow on the projector to stop hot air building at the back.

Eric
    The screen used at The Event was an 8ft wide 1.3 gain and most people felt it was "snappy" this was using the internal tripler.

But of course 7ft would look better and 6ft even more so.

7. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Roland,

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I have decided what I should go for!!

It would certainly be the best layout for the room regarding seating, speakers and screen position.

In this case am I better to go for a fixed screen which can then presumably be masked to a slightly smaller width without too much trouble if the image is not quite 7' wide?

Also, before I build the room, how can i find out what the mounting requirements for the Barco will be? Or should I get in touch once I have a finalised building date. I suspect it would be better to give the builder exact requirements before the work starts. ( I don't have a start date yet! But I hope to fix one fairly soon)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I thought the Cine 7 at the "Event" was simply stunning, which is largely why I intend to go down this route. I couldn't remember how wide the screen was but I thought it was 7 or 8'

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,

Yes, I'm sure the Cine 7 that you set up at the event looked great with the 8ft screen.
    The problem is, will it still look great once a few thousand hours of phosphors have been burnt off. As you know yourself, a good deal of brightness will have gone from the image by then.
    I honestly think a 6ft to 7ft screen is just about par for the course with 7" Projectors. Any less than this is as you say, will indeed be brighter still... but that would be called a Television Set;)

Gavin,
    A fixed screen is always better than an electric tab tentioned one.
    The t/t screens are around 3 times the price for one thing. The fixed screens are perfectly 100% flat, very important.
    The reason I have a T/T electric screen is that I have a 4 year old who thinks she is Rolf Harris when she gets hold of a black felt tip pen. I sleep better knowing she cant get to that lovely white area.

Eric

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin,
    There is some usefull info in a thread that I started called 'More install opinions' in the General Chat section of this forum.
    I'm sure this would help you with speaker placement along with most other aspects regarding your install.

Eric

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Eric
    Few thousand in average terms would mean 5 - 6 years time. but you were talking from new.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The screen at the Event was 235cm wide, 16:9 aspect ratio, studiotek130 material. Someone can go work it out but off the top of my head 235cm is less than 8ft wide. I think it's nearer 7

Gordon

Did look snappy though, until the CineMAX went on.....

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oops

There you go Eric 7 and a half

7ft =213cm
    8ft = 244cm

If you can't be right be certain