1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What screen material for hs50 2.35:1 DIY screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spamboy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bitten the bullet and just ordered an hs50. I'm planning to do a 2.35:1 constant height setup with an anamorphic lens and I'm slightly concerned about the light output.

I'm thinking of having a 190cm wide screen in 16:9, which assuming a calibrated output of 350 lumens and a gain of 1.3 gives a brightness of 20ft-lamberts (using http://www.CarltonBale.com/ht/calculator)

This screen would be 107cm high, giving a width of 250cm in 2.35 mode.

This gives 15.4 fl, but assuming a loss of 20% light through the lens, drops to 12 fl.

We should have complete light control and my wife is trying to persude me to paint the room matt black so ambient light is not an issue.

Anyway, I'm looking for a screen surface suggestion based on this (should I be going for higher gain?) and also whether you think it would be better to have the higher brightness on 16:9 or use a ND filter that slides in place when the lens is slid out of the way to maintain constant brightness?

I'm hoping that most of the 16:9 stuff I watch will be tv and 2.35:1 film, so maybe having the brighter image for tv would be no bad thing.

I'm not seeing much in the way of screen material with this kind of gain sold seperatly (although the Draper m1300 material seems to stand out as a decent option), so goo products (digital light grey or CRT white) are looking good.

Thanks,

SB

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I've just changed screens from a 0.9 gain Stewart Grayhawk to a 1.5 gain Beamax for my HS50.

The change was for size reasons, not because of any brightness issues with the HS50 / Grayhawk combination.
    The Sony HS50 is quite dim, but it isn't so dim that you should disregard lower gain screens. In fact the Grayhawk worked brilliantly with the HS50 and gave really excellent blacks.

Having seen both screens with the HS50, I prefer the image on the Grayhawk.
    Its just a shame I can't afford another one.
    However, The 1.5 gain screen gives a really vibrant look to outdoor scenes and although the black level is not as good, the actual contrast level is the same. Its just brighter overall and you do get used to it.

It really depends what you prefer, deep blacks or a brighter picture... but you can't really have both.
    I think most people would agree that a plain 1.0 gain would be a safe bet and a happy medium.

3. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules,

What size screen were you using?

Thanks,

SB

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    82". Not huge, but I wouldn't have had any problem going larger.

If the picture is dull, just make the room completely dark and the whites look really bright again whilst the blacks look black.
    With a higher gain screen, your eyes get used to the brighter whites but you see the blacks as grey.

5. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    have a Goo screen, Digital Light Grey with my HS50. Gives around a 1:3 gain.

I'm pretty happy with the resulting picture, prefering it to my previous Owl screen, and it was easy to get the exact size obviously

FYI, we are about to import some MMud, from the States which by all accounts outperforms Goo by some margin- there's a huge thread on AVS and some sreenshots here too

Two of us are sharing the costs, the more the merrier, and cheaper it will be

In your case, surely it's worth trying it for a paltry sum, even compared to Goo

Just a thought....

6. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read the lightfusion posts with interest and I'd try it if I thought my spraying skills were up to it. Sadly, they're not so I think I'm going to go with the draper material if I can find anyone to sell it to me. (crtprojectors.co.uk do it, but don't post).

7. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    let me know if you get sorted i need material as well :smashin: