1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what screen for the AE500?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dan_wade, Jan 25, 2004.

1. dan_wade

dan_wade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the Panasonic ae500. I was just looking for advice about what screen i should get. This is my first projector, so im still a little new to things.

I remember some time ago, i heard on here that since LCD still have problems achieving good blacks, it was a good idea to buy a grey screen instead of white, to get better blacks? There was also the case about ambient light in the room, bouncing off the walls, which would intern lower the full contrast of the projector. I didn't think that this would be be such an issue, but the projector does indeed seems to light be pitch black room up quite alot. Are their actualy screens that allow less boucne off the screen?

My video is coming from the HK 2550 through component.

Dont get me wrong. Im really chuffed with the 500 model, the colours and blacks are really good, i was just curious about what other AE300/500/Sanzo Z2 owners have been doing about screens.

Cheers,
    Dan.

2. kvanlier

kvanlier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am curious too..as I have a AE500 and I want to make sure I am buying the right screen.

greets,

Kris.

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    take a look in the screen section of these forums, they advised me very simply to try and use a blackout blind for started and then if not happy get a proper screen as a blind can only cost you £40 or something from argos or john lewis... As for light bouncing it didnt bother me on my mates one, mind you it wasnt set up properly so i couldnt tell the difference anyway

4. itolson1

itolson1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used a Drapa Luma 106" 16:9 manual for my Z2, works a treat, and fits behind the valance in the front room.

although i have now made a fixed screen in my new AV Room, the converted garage.

you can throw alot of cash at an electric screen, but ask tourself how many times you are likley to use the PJ, as you need the room to be quite dark to appreciate the pj.

thanks

Ian T.

5. kvanlier

kvanlier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally ordered the Projecta ProCinema 200x117 cm.
    I will keep you up to date once its delivered and setup.

greets

Kris.

6. dan_wade

dan_wade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any feedback on the screen?
    are there any screens that absorb light?

Dan.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to the screens forum.

8. kvanlier

kvanlier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen will be delivered after Feb 11th..
    I will post then :)

greets,

Kris.

9. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Try NexNix.co.uk

I purchased a 200cm 16:9 with black border - £500 delivered. Last night I installed the remote kit with a pronto so now its remoted!

Check em out ask for Matt in sales.

Cheers

Tone

10. Khai

Khai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at buying an AE500 but if I do it it's gonna wipe out any money I have left. I've had a look around but couldn't find the cheap Ikea or Argos blinds that people have potentially touted ... can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I might look at creating my own screen with a zero budget (cheapest lightest bit of wood with a few coats of paint rigged up with a pulley to bring it parallel to ceiling). Has anyone attempted anything similar per chance?

Khai

11. wither2000

wither2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Argos blackout blinds are definitely in the current Argos extra catalogue - next to other non-blackout roller blinds.

Ian

12. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    FWIW, I have a da-lite 106 inch HCMW (high contrast matte white) screen I use with my Z2. Despite the name, it's actually grey :p

The finish works very well indeed with the Z2. The only downside is it doesn't unroll totally flat.

Ho-Hum