1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What screen for my hs50

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by activeuk, Feb 11, 2005.

1. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the sony will be 13ft from the screen and i will sit about 5ft from the screen what size screen would be best for the sony

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    5ft from the screen!? Thats very close - you sure thats the right distance?

If so then I'd doubt you'd want a screen any bigger than about 3ft wide in which why bother having a pj at all? Also, if the Sony is sited 13ft away then I doubt it could project a picture small enough that from your sitting position of 5ft that you wouldn't be able to actually see the whole width of the display without turning your head so much you'd get dizzy, you'd see screendoor in very nice detail.

5ft from a screen is way too close.
    Paul

3. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok what size pic would the sony be able to make at 13ft i can all ways move my pc etc back to make round 10ft from the screen

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Depends on the screen shape (4:3 or 16:9). Use the screen size calculator below and you should be able to work out what size suits you best and at what distance the pj needs to be placed.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HS51-projection-calculator-pro.htm

As a guide, seating distance is normally at least 1.5 x the screen width, i.e. 6ft wide screen and you would sit at a distance of 9ft or more. 1.8x is optimum but 1.5x is ok.
    Paul

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    My screen is 6ft and I sit around 8ft from it. I find this ideal and can easily watch movies and play games on it at this distance. I use a home made 16:9 screen which is basically a wooden frame with some blackout fabric stretched over it and a black border painted around the edge using blackboard paint. Does a great job, especially considering that it cost about £10-£15 to make.

Oh and I don't really get any screen door either at this distance - my PJ is an Epson TW-10h.

6. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Well, if you guys are happy at your chosen viewing distances then you'll get no argument from me. Its your enjoyment that counts.
    Paul

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Thing is the Epson won't really go any smaller than 6' at 9 1/2' away. You are correct though - what's good for one person may not be to another. The only way to find out for yourself is to demo a few units at various distances.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm with you, I plumped for 1.8x as the best size vs screen door ratio. From closer than 1.5x the SD on the TX does become evident, but people say SD is more evident on the TX then some other models, as that cine4home comparison shows... quite what they were scoring on the HS50 God only knows! From 1.8x the pics are great.

...PJ

9. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Activeuk,
    Might be worth getting the Sony first and then project a picture on the wall where you wish to place the screen (if the wall is white, great. if not then hang a large white sheet or something on it). This will give you an idea of the size of screen you will need and allow you to play around a bit with the mounting position, seating position etc without having coughed up for a screen that may (or may not) end up being the wrong size for you. Once you are satisfied, you can then buy a screen that best meets your needs (or make one as gthom3 suggests).

You should check that the Sony does indeed meet all your requirements before buying one of course and try to get a demo if you haven't already done so just to make sure you are happy with it.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed though as the Sony is a great pj!
    Paul