1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What screen for DV29??

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by LFCRules, Nov 30, 2004.

1. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Having been a recent convert to the DV29, I am very impressed with the picture output, even on the RPTV I have. However, I have been thinking for a while, and now the DV29 is pushing me to get the best out of it, to upgrade the RPTV to either plasma or projector. My query is, what are other people using with their DV29's?

I am fairly limited with the projector options in that I am living in rented accomodation at the mo, so I can't exactly fit the projector to the ceiling or anything like that. But a stand mounted one would not be out of the question. I am really limited to the space available in the room though, 6x3 metres. And seeing as I do watch a lot of TV as well, plasma is probably the better option. Anyway, I need some good ideas from people in the know, you guys :thumbsup:

2. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i don't have a dv29....so take this how you want - but i'd go for a projector. A projector will not only produce a better picture but it will scale up if / when you move to a bigger place.

movies, sports, games and even normal tv is awsome on a big screen :)

CaM

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    I have a DV29 and I use a projector in rented accomodation. I have a Sharp XV-Z201 projector which is the short throw version of the XV-Z200. This allows me a 7' picture from about 9' away. I just bring the projector and the screen out when I need it and put them away in the cupboard when not in use. The projector sits on the coffee table right in front of my seating position with the 10 metre HDMI cable going around the edge of my room and out from underneath the couch by my feet. The screeen I use is a portable unit from Draper call the Traveller and it produces excellent pictures. The only problem I had was that when the screen was up it covered all my equipment in the rack and the remote wouldn't operate but I managed to get a Xantech IR receiver which plugs inot the back of the AVR300 and then out again into the DV29, problem solved. Definitely get a projector, you won't regret it. The Sharp XV-200/201 is a steal now at £2200 and has a great lens shift function which makes getting the picture aligned very easy, particularly important if you have to do this every time you use the projector.

4. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To add a voice in favor of your other option, I have a DV29 and play it on a Pioneer Elite plasma. It is a gorgeous, film-like picture and more than big enough for my larger room. I am not sure what models are available in the UK, but this is the most recent 50inch model called the Pro-1120HD. The 43inch model is Pro-920HD. The last models are 1110 and 910, respecitively and they are excellent displays as well. They come with a very stable and good looking tabletop stand. These all have an outboard scaler/processor so you don't have to make connections on the back of the display except the one proprietary cable that has separate audio and video connections. There are also more purely display models that have no outboard scaler and (I think) no tuner built in.

In any event, the picture is amazing and if you are watching TV regularly--not just DVDs--you will prefer the picture over a projector, IMHO. Some day I will get a projector just for watching movies, but for now I like the versatility of a plasma.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I have to agree with VoltronUS. For day to day TV viewing a plasma is far more practical. Constant switching on and off of a PJ will be a pain, as will having to replace the bulb which has a limited life span.
    I use a DV29 with a series 4 Panny plasma and find the PQ to be excellent. My room is a fairly similar size to yours and the plasma is still al large picture compared to a standard TV so you are not IMHO missing much over a PJ.
    I may well get a PJ in the future, but this would be in addition to the plasma and not a replacement.

Mark.

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Although I run a projector with my dv27a I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for a tv. Assuming this isn't your life savings being spent on a one off treat then go for a nice plasma and maybe think about a pj at a later date to go with it when you've got more space. Unfortunately I did spend all my savings on my pj so will be waiting sometime before I can have both!

7. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    :thumbsup: Thanks for all the advice guys. Its definately got me thinking even more now.

Good to hear the different pro's and cons from both screen types. My current Sony RPTV, does I must admit, have a cracking picture (IMHO), and its only 2 years old, and has had lots of use :D And at 44", it is plenty big enough for general TV viewing over my NTL cable connection. I am sure it has a good couple more years left in it. But like I said earlier, I'd really like to make full use of the DV29.

Crusty's description of his setup would fit well in my current situation. Although as Mark has said, it can be a little bit impractical, but if I am only using it for the DV29 for DVD's, coming out of hibernation 2 to 4 times a week, and the occasional footy or rugby match, then it would make sense, and hopefully this limited use will not blow the bulb too quickly. I could have an easy 2.5 metres distance between screen and projector right now, and with a bit of furniture arrangement, 3.0m. Which should be enough.

What extra's are involved with both options are also a consideration. With projector, it would be a screen, and a couple of cables, HDMI for the DV29, and component output from the AVR300 for the NTL, and maybe my XBOX as well. Whereas plasma could incorporate maybe a couple more cables, and more dedicated inputs required. Dependant if I go for plasma display, or a plasma tv (given the AV kit I have, the former is the only option, why pay for speakers and tuner when I don't need 'em :) ) but I would need a stand and/or shelving to put it on, and maybe scaler.

I must admit I have been thinking joining the plasma brigade for about 6 months, but the opportunity of getting the DV29 & AVR300 took over really. I have seen some prices of plasma displays go down, especially the Panny's, and some Pioneer's. The thought of having a projector has only come up in the last month, mainly from this forum, and the dealer's demo room where I got the DV29/AVR300.

Decisions, decisions, can I manage to keep my credit card in my wallet through the January sales :devil: Thanks again all for your replies, much appreciated :smashin:

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Actually, didn't fully specify my distances in the room. 2.5 - 3.0 metres is when the projector would be in front of me on a stand/table. I could have it behind the settee, which would mean it would be 4.0-4.5 metres away. This could open up a few more projector options, if I go projector route