1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what screen for BenQ pb6210 blackout or goo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shozy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. shozy

shozy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all new to me, like reading a technical manual, I don't understand much of it.

I have a BenQ pb6210 DLP, 2000 ANSI Lumins, 2000:1 contrast ratio.
    Setup in a very dark room, projecting against a beige colored wall. Size is 60x80 = 100" diag.

I need to get a screen set up (the beige wall sucks). I've read posts about screens and just can't decide what to get or do. Screen Goo, Icestorm, a real screen, blackout material screen, etc. I need an educated opinion about what to do. My head starts to hurt when I read all the threds about screens, contrast, white, gray, masks, etc.

I'm leaning towards the blackout material, but my size is larger than the product comes, can I put a seam down the middle, will this be noticable?

Shozy

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Your projector is a bright one - while I've not seen any figures for this, extrapolating figures for the older PB6200 (1700 lumens claimed - c725 calibrated) would suggest a calibrated (for home cinema that is) light output somewhere in the 850 lumens range.

Luckily your screen is fairly large, so you shouldn't need to tame the light ouput that much.

If your wall is flat, I'd try sanding that and painting it with Icestorm5 and a 2" black border all round.
    If it's not flat then you'd probably have to go for a board of some type - I can't see how you'd be able to join two pieces of material yourself (ie without professional eqpt) and have the join invisible.

Sadly the commonly available boards seem to max out at 8ftx4ft, and while this would make a decent fit for a 16:9 screen, if you want a 4:3 screen at 60x80, then you are probably either looking at a special order board, joining two boards yourself (this isn't actually that hard if you do it right) or else buying a premade screen.

You could have an 8x4 board (such as 12mm MDF) cut down to 7x4 - this would give you an 80x45 inch 16:9 screen, with a 1.5in border top and bottom, and a 2in border at each side.
    If your viewing is mostly 16:9 material, then this could work well - it's a relatively simple matter to then attach 7ftx8in MDF "strips" to the top and bottom to tame the 4:3 lightspill (you paint them black of course) - as they aren't showing any picture information, then you'd never see the join!