Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What screen aspect ratio for Toshiba TLP450 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bucknaked, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bucknaked

bucknaked
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there
    I bought a 16:9 projection screen on EBay but am unconvinced it is the right screen for my TLP450.
    Sure when it plays a 16:9 movie it fits within the screen although there are visible lighter "shadows" top and bottom outside the screens borders, I could live with that.
    But most menus are in 4:3 so they don't fit within the screen which looks awful.
    The blokes at our Hi-Fi shop said it's just a matter of adjusting it but I don’t think so, the only size setting I can alter is the DVD players settings

Anyone have any advice for me please?

T

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Don't know that projector, but the normal "rule" is that the screen shape should match the native shape of the projector image. It sounds like you have a 4x3 projector (from what you say). You can work it out, if you know it's resolution (look in the specs). 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 are all examples of 4x3 ratio resolutions.

All may not be lost. If it has a zoom lens, you may be able to use this the fill your 16x9 screen with WS material, and then zoom it down to see menus etc. and 4x3 material.

3. bucknaked

bucknaked
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Nigel

here's the spec's

"Displays PC and video, with audio
    The TLP 450 and TLP 451 accept both PC and video input and allow you to switch from one to the other during a presentation with a touch on the wireless remote. These models are fully compatible with industry-standard PC display formats, as well as video input from VCRs, camcorders, DVD Video Players, laserdisc, and broadcast.

True SVGA 800 x 600
    VGA 800 x 600
    UXGA 1600 x 1200, SXGA 1280 x 1024 and
    XGA 1024 x 764 compressed resolution
    NTSC/PAL/SECAM video"

I will check again tonight but I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow me to zoom any smaller than I already am, not enough any way.
    That's the trouble with getting in early with technology I guess, stuck with a 4:3 projector.
    T

4. bucknaked

bucknaked
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me again

Just had another fiddle with it

I actually have a "resize" button on my projector remote, so I can stretch my menu to fit within my screen.
    Also viewing TV I can "resize" to almost fit (or I guess I could get a digital set top box so it is in 16:9)

Not sure I understand all these sizes, I was surprised that when I changed my DVD player settings to 16:9 (as apposed to 4:3 pan and scan) it was a different size again to my 16:9 screen

Any way I think it may do, it certainly looks better than a big 4:3 screen

Thanks for your thoughts

T

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Seems like you need to experiment with various things until you work it out. FWIW, given your projector's resolution, I don't think you will perceive much difference in PQ between the 16x9 and 4x3 Letterbox settings on your DVD, so I'd pick whichever is most convenient. Bear in mind that some DVD discs (earlier ones, typically) are such that this setting is ignored and a 4x3 letterbox (or not) image is produced anyway.