1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What scenes do you remember being cut from Movies

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Hawklan, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

There are a couple of movies that I remember seeing over the years where I remember scenes being cut from later re-releases or video/DVD releases

e.g
    In Star Wars Episode IV

When Luke, Han and Leia were in the Garbage Compactor after R2D2 stopped the walls from crushing them I remembered Luke scraping crud of the door to tell C3P0 where they were
    In a Script that I rec'd in a Ltd Edition Tin containing all 3 films there is a script (Don't normally read these things but I was curious) which actually has Han performing the de-crudding and telling Luke the location who then passes it onto C3P0 - In the later release and (all videos - Don't know about the Laser Disk releases) you just hear Lukes voice over the radio

The next scene I'm not so sure about (failing memory and all that)

When Obi Wan turned off the Tractor beam I remember him going back to turn it on (Guards or something) then going back to turn it of - In the video's, re-release etc you only see him turn it of the once - Haven't read the script on this.

What really bother's me it what other little bits were cut out from this and other films that I have forgotten about
    I even remember a number of small cuts in Crocodile Dundee

What other scenes do you guy's remember seeing on the original film releases that have yet to see the light of day

Many thanks

RON

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'Violated By The Woods' scene in The Evil Dead was cut out of the movie for about 15 years until the DVD releases came out last year...

They probably should've left it cut too

3. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Yep I know what you mean - Somethings are just too much

4. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me and a friend went to see Naked Gun 33 1/3 at the cinema. There was a scene with Frank and the big guy in some sort of confinement room. Can't remember what happens in the scene, but it was in there (mentioned this to my friend just the other day, and he remembers it).

Ain't seen it in any version since.

5. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I

Also remember a couple of scenes in Crocodille Dundee
    One in particular towards the end of the film where Micks "wife to be (Linda Koz-something" is off to find him carrying his knife and her dad asks her if she is sure about this, she replies "I love him"
    Apparently the UK and US version of the DVD/Videl have a number of scence trimmings / subsitutions that hopefully the coming Aussie release will sort out

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    I remember one scene not being cut but altered in the film Tightrope with Clint Eastwood the first few time it was shown on TV when Randi Brooks striped for the hot tub, she was naked, but later they must have re-shot it and she now wears a bikini. I just do not know why as there is far wore things shown. And she shows them in The Man With Two Brains.

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

"Crocodile Dundee" does indeed have a fair amount of material cut in both the US and UK editions. It seems that only the Australian VHS version has the full, and complete 2-hour edit, of this comedy anymore. :( Shame someone doesn't get this put onto DVD!

As for missing scenes, there's still confusion about the "Crow eating a woman's eyeball" scene, in "Damien: Omen II".

I saw it in an old ITV transmission, but every single TV and DVD version, omits this bit of the scene. The woman is chased down the road. The crow comes after her. It grabs her hair. She fights the bird. Next thing, we see her very bloody eye socket. Yet, you don't see the eyeball-eating bit.

A shame, because the film is still classified as an 18, and the BBFC have never censored the film. I can only imagine this is another one of Fox's mess-up's ala "Predator".

Pooch

8. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi PoochJD

Just to let you know an Aussie release of Crocodille Dundee is due to be released within the next 2 weeks

RON

9. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not sure if Poltrgiest has been cut, but I always remember a scene where the parents are talking to the neighbours and the scene seems to stop halfway through a sentence.
    I think it is right after Carol-anne slides accross the kitchen floor with the football helmet on.

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of eigties films had tv versions specifically shot for network tv in america which is stricter on certain things than uk tv.

Tightrope was shown in a tv edit, and i kinda think she looked better in the bikini sometimes the imagination is best and more satisfying than showing it all, thats why the best horror films often leave it to your imagination and don't show everything.

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just about all of Lethal Weapon shown at any time on UK TV.

Guaranteed to get me angry.

12. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,950
    A couple of Arnie films that I saw on Sky Movies ages ago:-
    Commando - Arnie in the garden shed and uses a circular saw attachment to take the top of someones head off
    T2 - the first fight in the bar when he pins one guys' shoulder to the pool table. They also don't show all of the one that gets thrown onto the cooker and get burned.

13. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When they showed T2 on five recenly it had both those scenes.

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Multiple spoilers!!! (Highlight to read).

There's a version of T2 often shown on British TV that includes the
    "opening up Arnie's head"
    scene, and the
    Michael Biehn dream sequence,
    but rather oddly cuts some of the stuff between
    Sarah and the perverted orderly,
    especially the bit where
    she hits him repeatedly with the mop handle.

One of the most heavily-cut movies of all time is... wait for it... that well-known video nasty(!) the original live-action version of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". One of the turtles uses a nunchako (sp?) as a weapon - two lengths of wood joined by a chain. At the time the BBFC had a policy of not allowing use of this weapon in any PG-rated film, so something like 7 minutes was cut out of it, and 3 or 4 minutes of alternative footage inserted.

TV versions of films always irritate the hell out of me. Crocodile Dundee is a prime example - cut for drugs and suggestive comments by hookers. There was a TV version of "Ghostbusters" that did the rounds too, with much of the "naughty" language removed. (The scene where the EPA guy is referred to as "d*ckless", for example, is completely rewritten. "Well, he's definitely some kind of a rodent...").

The rape scene in "Deathwish 2" was, I believe, not even allowed in British cinemas without heavy cuts, never mind the TV version.

And Bond films are often cut to shreds on TV. The scene where Roger Moore
    uses a cigar and can of aftershave as an impromptu flame-thrower
    is often cut from "Live And Let Die", for example, in a way that causes that section of the film to make absolutely no sense at all.

And they cut a lot of stuff out of "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad" the last time I saw it (for no apparent reason).

Tom Baker rules! :)

15. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    T1 used to have the scene with Arnie repairing himself in the bathroom cut and then when he swears at the super.
    T2 used to have the nuclear explosion dream sequence cut - not all the burning flesh present.
    Pulp fiction had not only the drug stuff missing but also the rape scene cut - a point not noted by Kermode in his doc' before it was shown.
    Robocop was a notrious edit.
    There have been loads of cinema versions trimmed for video/tv/dvd.
    Specifically, I'm sure Hannibal had trims (!) to the dinner scene on dvd as opposed to the version I saw at the pictures. Trouble is finding out for sure as a 'complete release' means so many different things depending on who's putting it out and in what format.

16. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Beginning of The Warriors when they're talking about the big meeting on the prom/boardwalk in the daytime.

Actually you see this scene on the 'TV version' but not on the video/DVD version.

Although I can see why they cut it, as much of the dialaogue is duplicated on the train in the opening credits, I much preferred it in as this is where the film ends (Coney Island), again in daytime with the rest of the film shot in darkness.

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

"Hannibal" was NEVER EVER censored or cut for UK video/DVD. I actually verified this, by sneaking in a camcorder, and video-taping certain scenes. I then compared the recording, to the UK double-DVD release from Columbia Tri-Star.

There was not a single frame of difference, even in the finale, when Lecter and Starling have "dinner" together.

It's one of those myths, that the internet has managed to continue.

With "The Terminator", you often find that the selections of "swearing" that Arnie can choose to retort with, are censored, because one of the retorts is "F*** You!". And with "T2", it tends to be the scene with Sarah and the orderly, that gets cut. Originally, Arnie's appearance at the bar, au naturelle, was cut very heavily, to remove scenes of him pinning a biker to the pool table, using a pool cue through the shoulder blade (ouch!), and the scene of another biker being thrown through the kitchen area, onto a hot stove, and being burnt severely on his hands.

However, the recent showing on Five was practically intact, although they aired the original 135 minute Cinema Edit, and not any of the longer variants that exist on DVD.

Pooch