1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Scart lead for Arcam DV88

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tracey, Jul 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to buy an Arcam DV88 in the very near future and at the moment I've just got a very cheap very poor quality £20 scart lead, yes I know very nuaghty. So, obviously if I'm payng £1,000 for a new DVD player I want to get the best out of it, so just wondered if anyone had any idea of what make would be suitable and how much I should spend. I've seen an Ixos scart lead for £50 (5 metre length) but should I be looking at spending more than that? Unfortunately I need a 5m cable because my dvd player isn't underneath my tv.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Have a look at www.chord.co.uk they have an RGB scart cable which gives superb results, expensive though @ 130 quid for 1m (additional lengths come out at 10 quid extra per 1m.

It really is an excellent cable, drawback is the cost and it also lets you know if youve got a crapply transfered disc!!

All my cables are from the above company they are really helpful and give excellent service, ask for Nigel Finn hes their cable guru.

Best regards
    Jase

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi..

I have the Arcam and I use the QED qscart about 50-75 quid according to the length.. Great cables (I have a s-video one as well)

Matt

4. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need a scart to scart RGB? I get very confusd with all this RGB business I thought a scart was a scart but it seems not.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    The one i got from Chord was the fully wired RGB scart - scart. At the time the only other one they did was one that only passed a composite signal (it was about a year ago)

I see from their website they have others available, maybe its worth giving them a call, tell them what system you have & see what they suggest or e.mail them.

cheers
    Jase

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Hooty ]

6. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. I certainly don't mind paying about £100 but anything over that is a bit too much for me, so I understand now there is composite scart and RGB scart, still confuses me though :(

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    At work we use a QED Sqart for both our DV88 and FMJ27, good cable, we do Chord but it's not really worth it on the DV88, maybe the FMJ.

SCART can carry composite, s-video and RGB, afully wired SCART will do anything, and there are variations that will carry only select signals.

Enjoy your DV88.

Rick

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Atomic / ReTrO ]

8. Phillipmichael

Phillipmichael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use QED SQART Dual screened silver reference
    highly recomended.
    My DV88 connected to a Panasonic 32PF10
    Its carrying a video signal only.
    Very well built, cost £70. mind, but...

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i too use the QED Squart and feel for a mid/high price player to "t.v" set-up you really can't ask for too much more from a lead. Recommended.

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it looks like the QED scarts are the ones to go for. Rick, thanks for the advice, no offence to anyone else but it's always good to hear from someone that actually works in the business and knows what sounds best. so Rick I have another question for you, I'm also in the process of upgrading my interconnects, so I need suggestions for a good Coaxial interconnect and a good analogue interconnect for CD playback, basically whatever sounds best with the DV88 and AVR100. I'm happy to pay up to £100 for each unless there is somethng phenominal that I should try, but I haven't got a clue what to go for.

Tracey

11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so one last question, should I get a noremal fully wired scart - scart or should I get the Scart to Scart RGB. I'm assuming that I need the scart to scart RGB becuase I'm using my AVR100 for the audio.

Please advise me, I'm eager to order one now I notice that both are the same price too.

12. Phillipmichael

Phillipmichael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was advised by Audio Excellence in Chester to go for the rgb-rgb video only qed sqart
    the model number is AV4130.
    All unused connections are removed to maximise picture quality. So it says on the box.
    I've found a difference in picture quality over s-video,it seems to produce a picture with more bite to it,a little like fine tuning the focus on a projector for example,
    one twist of the focus ring and it all becomes that bit clearer,more defined in detail. Go for it, qed sqart, rgb-rgb.
    £70 for a 3M length. Phil.

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You should only need the RGB Sqart then, as Phil suggests.

As for sound interconnects, the best suitable digital co-ax should be the Ixos 105, about £25. Stereo interconnects, try something from Chord Cable Co., the Cobra 2, £55 should be suitable. Run the stereo feed into the CD stereo input.

Enjoy!

14. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, very helpful, I'm ordering one today, now I can't wait until I can get my own house so I can oder my Lowe Acconda :)

15. Eakley

Eakley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a DV88 connected to an Aconda via QED SQUART for a year now and have been very impressed. Audio is provided by Ruark Vitas driven by FMJ A22 DAVE/P25

Hope you enjoy it. Nick...

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    £40 - £50 is more than adequate for this level of player and Scarts, anything else is a waste of money. Basic QED or IXOS is all you need unless you need a longer cable then add about £10m. Only consider something more expensive if you have FMJ or better, and if that is so, loose the Scart.