What scaler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeye

Standard Member
Reaction score
After selling my CRT projector a few weeks ago I have to say that I'm missing the big screen experience.
I'm having to make do with my 32" Loewe TV, which nearly gave me a hernia getting it up stairs into my H/C.
As you can imagine I'm wasting no time in planing to have a new projector in place in the near future. Its probably going to be a Barco 808, but what scaler should I use?
Now I'm on a budget, so the Snell & Wilcox interpolator Gold is out of the question. I've been looking at the slightly cheaper option of the Focas Enhancements Quadscan Elite or Centre Stage. I've also noticed that Deuce make some afordable scalers, but are they any good?
Does anyone own any of the above or have any other scaler which is worth looking at?

popeye:confused:

I don't think the Deuce units have aspect ratio control. CS-1 is pretty good value for money. Certainly better than a Quadscan Elite with PAL material. HTPC is a go-er if you can get it to work 9and there are many here who can, just not me yet...)

I will suggest considering the Key Digital HD Leeza when it becomes available as I am the distributor and it would seem re-miss to not. Of course, the real test is to try and get a look at a few before making a decision.

Gordon

P.S. Jenz might still have his Rock Pls for sale. Superior to CS1 and Elite, any deuce scaler I've seen. Worth a look?

I know it's not an Elite but NFordEnfield had a Quadscan Pro for sale in the classifieds too.

Mark.

I think the HCPC opton is a non starter for me. For one I don't think I'd ever get it to work as my computer skills are basic and my PC is a bit of a light weight. Probably a dedicated scaler would be a better option.
I think Gordons right about auditioning a few scalers and seeing the results for your self, however finding somewhere where you can see the different scalers in action is difficult. If you live up north like me it becomes almost impossible.

The Leeza is a scaler I'm not familar with. Any further information would be welcome.

Thanks Mark for the info on the Quadscan Pro, but I believe that this model doesn't have the inverse telecline 3/2 pull down for NTSC, & 2/2 for Pal, which the newer scalers suport. Still it appears to be every bit worth the asking price.

The Centre Stage one appears to be worth looking at. Does anyone on the forum use this scaler or have any knowledge, where I could see one on demo?

popeye:)

Popeye,

I will be travelling to Hull, hopefully before Xmas and may be able to drop by and show you a CS-1. I am working on a new Convergent web site at present. It will have details of allthe scalers etc I carry. As well as my articles about how to choose stuff. I'll be writing one about scalers!

In the meantime ifyou want info on the HDLeeza you can find it at
www.keydigital.com

Gordon

Popeye,

Granted i'm selling a QS Pro, but for CRT, it is sharper than an unmodified Elite which has extra filters etc, trust me have a/b both.

As for the 3:2/2:2 bit, Getting lost with the techoland inverse blah, but if it helps, Quadscans do do 3:2 pulldown. I never really notice much difference between NTSC and PAL either on my BD800, then my BG801s and finally my BG1208/2. All looked excellent on the Quadscan in XGA mode which is the pj's sweetspot.

I was going to go the CS1 route, but felt that the improvements where no where near the price of four times as good, and it did not support SDi either. Someone did post some excellent pic's of what a QS can do.

I now use a Cinematrix modded DVD Player (same as in the ROCK+ it seems) which just squeezes more out of DVD, but lose SKY etc. This is at the moment a stop gap until i've decided if SDI is the next step. Player sound much better than what it replaced, this did suprise me.

Happy hunting, isn't this a great hobby

Rgds

Nathan

Nathan,

Quadscan is good value. it doesn't do 2:2 for PAL but is great with NTSC. I've only seen a Cinematrix modded DVD once at it isn't a patch on a RockPlus...sorry. It does have detail like an sdi dvd player to scaler though. It;s definately a great option for someone stepping in to CRT for the first time

Gordon

Originally posted by nfordenfield
I now use a Cinematrix modded DVD Player (same as in the ROCK+ it seems)

Nathan,

For information, there was a typo in Jenz's Rock+ advert. The Rock+ uses the Clearmatrix algorithm (designed by Key Digital, and implemented in code by TAW) not Cinematrix. :)

Popeye,

I also use a Cinematrix modded player, after upgrading from a quadscan. Its certainly an improvement, although of course not always convenient if you use other sources.

Gordon,

I would be interested in seeing the Leeza when you have one up and running let us know.

Regards Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom