1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What scaler?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DSM, Jul 9, 2002.

1. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can someone advise me on which scaler to use with a Barco graphics 808s & 4/3 screen, inputs will be dvd & sat.
    My budget is about £800.

Cheers,

Dave:confused:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Dave,

I saw your other posts about the install and the scaler question. I've not had any sight of the deuce unit you are considering. I would suggest that for a little more you can get a Quadscan Elite which has a variety of output resolutions. The ones you are going to want to try are tripling, XGA, and Quadrupling I'd think with a 4:3 screen and an 808.

It also has aspect ratio control from the IR handset giving it pretty good ease of use.

I'd also try and get sight of the Deuce as well though to see how it fares.

Alternative's would be line doublers with 2:2 recognition which will give you better de-interlacing from film sourced PAL material. These would still give you scan lines though....but a vast improvement over no processing at all. Units to look out for are Iscan Pro and possibly Omega1 (uses sage/faroudja chipset). The Iscan is nice for the money and an Omega1 should be whistling its way to me for evaluation as we speak.....

Gordon

Gordon

3. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im a bit confused over 3:2 & 2:2 recognition/pulldown, if im only watching region 2 dvds & sat (not sky) gold box, what do I need. Because all the scalers I am looking at only have 3:2 pulldown- do I need this ?

Cheers,

Dave:confused:

anyone got one for sale before I take the plung.:devil:

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    If all you are watching is region 2 pal stuff then you ideally want a device with good video de-interlacing for normal studio based tv and sport coupled with 2:2 pulldown for material which has originated from film....ie Sky Movies, films on tv and most dvd's....

If you can do without scaling and get away with just doubling/de-interlacing then a candidate may be the Omega1 that uses a faroudja chipset or an Iscan that uses the silicon image chipset. Both of these have de-interlacing features you need but not scaling. You would therefore need two memory banks in your projector. One for 4:3 and letterbox and another for 16:9 anamorphic.

It's likely that if your projector is well set up you will see scan lines with just s de-inerlacer or doubler. It is likely ot offer a much better image than just feeding a direct interlaced signal straight to the projector though.

Gordon