What scaler??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi,

Can anybody reccomend a scaler to use with
    a Barco 808 graphics?

I've seen a Focus Quadscan scaler which I can buy new for about £1200 , but I did read about a DVDO ISCAN , but it was NTSC only. Is there a multi standard one available , and if so, how would it compare??

Cheers.

------------------
    Don't think you are, Know you are.

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVDO iScan is not a scaler, just a line doubler (de-interlacer) whereas the Quadscan is both. The current iScan models are NTSC only but I believe there is a new version due out soon that will do NTSC/PAL/SECAM and has component YUV type intputs.

From what I know and have read I would say that the DVDO de-interlacer is better than the one in the Quadscan but both would give good results on the Barco 808.

Depending on how annoying you find scan lines on big front projection screens, particularly with NTSC video, will affect your choice. The Barco 808 Graphic is a high res projector and the scan line structure even for line doubled (prgressive) video could be quite obvious depending upon size of image and viewing distance.

A scaler will help solve the problem by up-converting the standard scan line system to something more suited to the capabilities of your projector, giving a smoother image and better light output.

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ludae,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a chance to see the Quadscan working and you're right about the line structure being visibe in double mode. However if it is swiched to triple, the lines disapear, even if you look closely . The screen is 7 foot wide and I sit about 4 metres back. Its the most cinematic image I've seen to date.
    I don't know if the Iscan can triple or not. If not I will go for the Quadscan , as the difference between double and triple is very noticable.
    Perhaps you could let me know.

Cheers Rob.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Rob,

The DVDo is just a de-interelacer/doubler as Ludae said. Even the new one is only going to be a doubler.

The Quadscan can de-interlace and re-scale and is very good value at £1200. In fact, I think it's good value at £1800! I guess you're buying it from TAW as they get rid of their old stock. If not, perhaps you can email me as to where you're getting it from and if that cost includes, shipping, duty and VAT.

The other scaler we use is the Vigatec VC1280. It uses the DVDo de-interlacing chip, but is also a scaler like the Quadscan. In my opinion it offers superior picture quality to the Quad.

The other things to mention are that the Quadscan will allow aspect ratio control when scaling above 480P or SVGA resolutions. The Vigatec needs to be working even higher at XGA/Quadrupled etc to allow full aspect ratio control.

All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob

Have you been following the discussions about the Quadscan on the AV forum? If you were thinking of buying from TAW the version that's in the blowout sale is the desktop 2.10, which has took some stick about the new output filters softening the picture.

I had debated getting a Quadscan from Gordon after an exchange of emails but the filters issue coupled with some other comments I came across on the AV forum changed my mind.

I might regret this but I've signed up for 'The Rock' from TAW, should get it next month unless somebody cancels their order on the first production batch in which case I'll get it sooner. The winning point for me is that you can download updates/bug fixes over the net, something that I don't believe is possible with the Quadscan.

Regards
    Gary

[This message has been edited by GaryG (edited 07-01-2001).]