What satellite tv channels can i access from one place?

wakiani

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,........I am new to this satellite and its related stuff. And i want some guidance and information. I search the internet but i can't find any organized and authentic answer to this question. What are the satellites that are receivable in my area where i live? Plz don't just refer me to some website about satellite (like lyngsat).etc.because i am a beginner and i visited these websites and these website only confuses me and will learn no way like from these website. Plz tell me in layman terms as much possible it is. My question is that (if budget is not an issue) in terms of buying items like satellite dishes,receivers,etc,.which are one time cost (OTC) then at the most how much percentage of tv channels can anyone receive at a place in which he/she lives.(meaning that if for example there are 15000 satellite tv channels in the entire world and someone receives 7500 channels then it means he/she receives 50 % of the satellite tv channels from the satellite channels of entire world. As i got answers/information from you people i will get more aware and then more questions will be arise in my mind. Also i m confuse about when people say like 78 E or 32 E .etc. I got really confused. SO plz for me and for all newbie about this stuff this would be a great post to learn. Also i heard there are scramble channels which are not free to watch. So how can we pay for scramble channels and then watch(also give examples for better understanding). Thanks..And i hope u understand the queries.

The amount of satellites and channels depends 1st on dish size, a UK sky zone 1 dish (50cm ) is a bit small for example but can be used to receive c. 30 satellites or more & 5000 or more channels (albeit some just about) in the UK

A 97cm would receive c. 60 satellites & over 10000 channels in the UK

The absolute limit of view is 75east to 75 west from your longitude and anything in the way will reduce that & you need something of a favourable signal at your location - most footprint maps will show this for most satellites but some that look impossible can often be received eg 7.3w 8w etc. in the UK

Hope that answers some of your questions for a start.

Last edited:
All the broadcast sats are pretty much over the equator at about 22,000 miles above the earth. They are in what is known as a geostationary orbit, which means that the stay situated pretty much above a fixed point on the earth's surface. The figures like 73E specify the longitude of the sat with reference to 0E (Grenwich meridian). So 73E would put the Sat above the equator at a longitude of 73E. That is a position in the Indian Ocean, pretty much off the southern tip of India in the Maldive islands. Your other example of 32E is pretty much over Kampala in Uganda.

78e is actually below the horizon -in the UK 76e is the eastern limit in say East Anglia or Ramsgate etc. in the UK

The positions of the sats don't correspond with a compass exactly but a handly guesstimate tool to start since we live on the meridian.

Btw the nearest sat to 78e uses a different system called c band - a whole different setup so another criteria is to make sure the Sat (or channel) not only has a favourable footprint, but is also using Ku band.
Unless you want C band or both

Scrambled channel services can usually be obtained with a paid card or card & cam but make sure the receiver is compatible. No discussions of any dodgy ways will be discussed

Last edited:
Note that the OP appears to be in Pakistan so a lot of the above replies about what is visible is relevant to the UK only (Pedro)

Thanks David a quick edit should fix that -

The amount of satellites and channels depends 1st on dish size, a UK sky zone 1 dish (50cm ) is a bit small for example but can be used to receive c. 30 satellites or more & 5000 or more channels (albeit some just about) in the UK

A 97cm would receive c. 60 satellites & over 10000 channels in the UK

The absolute limit of view is 75east to 75 west from your longitude and anything in the way will reduce that & you need something of a favourable signal at your location - most footprint maps will show this for most satellites but some that look impossible can often be received eg 7.3w 8w etc. in the UK

Hope that answers some of your questions for a start.
Thanks for the response. Sorry couldn't mention that i live in Pakistan. But unfortunately i am unable to grasp your and (TJT1) comments fully and honestly i was not expecting this start of my learning journey of satellite tv related discussion. I need to understand these step by step.What we can do is that, I will start with some questions and answers of these questions will evoke my brain(mind) to satellite tv related discussion after that we will go on (level by level) with this journey. I am really thankful for ur effort of understanding my queries of this post and answering the best you can. Firstly,plz tell is this true that bigger the satellite dish the better? (i m saying better in context of more channels will be received and improvement of signals in satellite tv channels. Secondly, what is maximum size of satellite dish which helps in to receive satellite tv channels?(i heard somewhere that 16ft is last, after that satellite dishes are used in other applications like weather forecasting..etc....Plz agree or disagree with my concepts uptill now...and explain if possible without delving on another concepts for now....

16ft dish is on the very big side here in the UK but in Pakistan you have more satellites transmitting in C band. C band needs larger dishes but they can be cheaply made as they don't need to be as accurate for C band.

However, although a larger dish will generally receive more satellites / channels, quality is equally if not more important as a big dish that is uneven can undermine it's own reception - less so on c band but it's still important & far more critical if you wanted ku band so if you were considering as large a dish as 16ft it isn't just size. Also durability for all weather conditions you expect to get. I know you can get big dishes quite cheap there but be careful of going too cheap and open wire mesh dishes work OK on c but not on ku
On lyngsat left column has the frequency
C band = 3XXX 4XXX
Ku band = 10XXX 11XXX 12XXX

16ft dish is on the very big side here in the UK but in Pakistan you have more satellites transmitting in C band. C band needs larger dishes but they can be cheaply made as they don't need to be as accurate for C band.

However, although a larger dish will generally receive more satellites / channels, quality is equally if not more important as a big dish that is uneven can undermine it's own reception - less so on c band but it's still important & far more critical if you wanted ku band so if you were considering as large a dish as 16ft it isn't just size. Also durability for all weather conditions you expect to get. I know you can get big dishes quite cheap there but be careful of going too cheap and open wire mesh dishes work OK on c but not on ku
On lyngsat left column has the frequency
C band = 3XXX 4XXX
Ku band = 10XXX 11XXX 12XXX
Very good and understandable explanations of my questions.Very helpful post. Thanks for that. You said "although a larger dish will generally receive more satellites / channels, quality is equally if not more important as a big dish that is uneven can undermine it's own reception": What does you mean when you say "a big dish that is uneven can undermine it's own reception." Here what does you mean by "uneven" and "it's own reception". In what context you are saying "uneven" and "it's(dish) own reception". Another concept that i want to clear my confusion of, is that, how can we know the number of satellites that are receivable in Pakistan (in your case, it is uk, ofcourse)?Also how will we be able to know the names of those satellites receivable?Is there any tool or any other ways to know that?I hope u understand my queries...

There are couple of websites like this which you mentioned but i think they are not authentic (maybe they are) .But I want to know how someone can, by any way or any tool, get to know the satellites receivable.( in other words, in this link you shared how it was possible to get names of satellites receivable)..And how much of that information is true and how much is missing.

Last edited:
What makes you think the websites are giving fake info?

If you can see a satellite is does not mean that you can receive signals from it. In addition to the location the signals are shaped to create a footprint. Example of the footprint of the UK spot beams used by SES Astra located at 28.2 E.

Will tell you what comms satellites are visible for any location.

You will still have to find the footprint maps for any satellite you want to use.

Very good and understandable explanations of my questions.Very helpful post. Thanks for that. You said "although a larger dish will generally receive more satellites / channels, quality is equally if not more important as a big dish that is uneven can undermine it's own reception": What does you mean when you say "a big dish that is uneven can undermine it's own reception." Here what does you mean by "uneven" and "it's own reception". In what context you are saying "uneven" and "it's(dish) own reception". Another concept that i want to clear my confusion of, is that, how can we know the number of satellites that are receivable in Pakistan (in your case, it is uk, ofcourse)?Also how will we be able to know the names of those satellites receivable?Is there any tool or any other ways to know that?I hope u understand my queries...

The shape of the dish is designed to reflect all it's area into the lnb, if there's outage / distortion etc not only do you lose some reception of the signals you want, the areas that are out can reflect unwanted signals off another satellite &/or interference(noise) from anywhere. Satellite signals are made up of signal versus noise.

I'm sure that list is a very good start,

you do need dish size recommendations too for each satellite and different channels can be different on the same satellite in terms of dish size required & if c band or ku band.

The most accurate, comprehensive reception reference is usually something you have to do. I gave up years ago trusting reception reports or footprint maps 100% unless I did it... so many would post reception reports with different quality dish installs and official footprint maps were no better than artists impressions affected by marketing pressures.

I'm sure that list is a very good start,

you do need dish size recommendations too for each satellite and different channels can be different on the same satellite in terms of dish size required & if c band or ku band.

The most accurate, comprehensive reception reference is usually something you have to do. I gave up years ago trusting reception reports or footprint maps 100% unless I did it... so many would post reception reports with different quality dish installs and official footprint maps were no better than artists impressions affected by marketing pressures.
I got your point. Plz can you share your personal experience about all this satellite tv related stuff. It will give me and other newbie folks of this forum some exposure by having a overall feel of this satellite tv related stuff. Plz tell about your satellite dish setup. I mean how many satellite dishes you have and of which sizes. Also tell the details of each satellite dish like whether it is motorized or not and other details like it. Also tell the impact of having motorized dishes in getting some more channels without physically moving dish. Plz also tell how many satellites do u receive and also how many channels do u receive.Of which, how many channels are in HD? and how many are in SD?How many 4k channels do u receive. Also tell about your satellite receiver specification? and if you have multiple receivers also tell about them...their specifications?After that, tell about the monitor/LED that you use to watch satellite tv channels ....also tell this monitors/LED specifications..etc.?Also tell does u simply direct the satellite dish in direction to the required satellite you want to use (watch channels of that satellite)?Now look, there is a cline (cccam) system (which i think u know) by which anyone can easily watch satellite tv channels with paying very cheap. Do u use this cline system or not?If not, how you watch the channels which are receivable in ur area? maybe those channels are free to air.Do u agree? And what about scramble channels?Do u feel worth it to watch some scramble channels by paying through different systems like you said earlier that are paid card & card and cam? Now in the end i would like to ask that what is the end result or quality of satellite tv channels playing on ur LED/monitor? There is IPTV and there is also cable tv. What is the quality of satellite tv channels in comparison with channels of IPTV or cable tv?Is it worth installing several dishes,buying receivers and setting all things up to watch satellite tv channels on ur monitor/LED?or in other case just buy an iptv subscription & have high speed internet connection and you are good to go?
Lastly, i want you to suggest me books about this satellite tv related stuff which provide in-depth and detailed knowledge both practically and theoritically?because i m starter and i have done my high school in pre-engineering in which i study mathematics,physics and chemistry. By suggesting me some books it will help me with this journey of mastering this all satellite tv related stuff (both theoritically and practically).So that i can handle all satellite tv related stuff practically as well. Also tell this satellite tv related stuff falls into which category of education?Thanks.

Phew!
May I ask Pedro what his current situation for replying to threads is?

I got your point. Plz can you share your personal experience about all this satellite tv related stuff. It will give me and other newbie folks of this forum some exposure by having a overall feel of this satellite tv related stuff. Plz tell about your satellite dish setup. I mean how many satellite dishes you have and of which sizes. Also tell the details of each satellite dish like whether it is motorized or not and other details like it. Also tell the impact of having motorized dishes in getting some more channels without physically moving dish. Plz also tell how many satellites do u receive and also how many channels do u receive.Of which, how many channels are in HD? and how many are in SD?How many 4k channels do u receive. Also tell about your satellite receiver specification? and if you have multiple receivers also tell about them...their specifications?After that, tell about the monitor/LED that you use to watch satellite tv channels ....also tell this monitors/LED specifications..etc.?Also tell does u simply direct the satellite dish in direction to the required satellite you want to use (watch channels of that satellite)?Now look, there is a cline (cccam) system (which i think u know) by which anyone can easily watch satellite tv channels with paying very cheap. Do u use this cline system or not?If not, how you watch the channels which are receivable in ur area? maybe those channels are free to air.Do u agree? And what about scramble channels?Do u feel worth it to watch some scramble channels by paying through different systems like you said earlier that are paid card & card and cam? Now in the end i would like to ask that what is the end result or quality of satellite tv channels playing on ur LED/monitor? There is IPTV and there is also cable tv. What is the quality of satellite tv channels in comparison with channels of IPTV or cable tv?Is it worth installing several dishes,buying receivers and setting all things up to watch satellite tv channels on ur monitor/LED?or in other case just buy an iptv subscription & have high speed internet connection and you are good to go?
Lastly, i want you to suggest me books about this satellite tv related stuff which provide in-depth and detailed knowledge both practically and theoritically?because i m starter and i have done my high school in pre-engineering in which i study mathematics,physics and chemistry. By suggesting me some books it will help me with this journey of mastering this all satellite tv related stuff (both theoritically and practically).So that i can handle all satellite tv related stuff practically as well. Also tell this satellite tv related stuff falls into which category of education?Thanks.

Phew too..

If you look at purplesat I think a lot of your questions are answered on there plus a lot more. It's from a UK prospective but most things satellite wise transfer OK. All the dishes are what i've installed, there's some on c band reception & I should add there's another thing to consider particularly with c band & that's Polarisation which can be either linear (H or V) or circular (L or R) - by default most lnbs receive linear & you can put a plastic plate in the front of the lnb (called a dielectric plate) to convert them to linear.

We don't discuss clines Etc on here, IPTV has quality issues, particularly on the bigger screens we use today plus delays & how much Internet bandwidth it uses- satellite has the highest capacity for live UHD but long term the net might improve so much it becomes more practical, but they said that about cars roads & motorways & in the UK it's a nightmare for traffic jams parking.

I am not doing satellite installs now- just giving a bit of advice now & again, my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumour, GBM, last year & given as little as 3 months so I dropped everything & have looked after her 24/7 since & tried to get her the best treatment & she's sat here 16 months on.

Phew too..

If you look at purplesat I think a lot of your questions are answered on there plus a lot more. It's from a UK prospective but most things satellite wise transfer OK. All the dishes are what i've installed, there's some on c band reception & I should add there's another thing to consider particularly with c band & that's Polarisation which can be either linear (H or V) or circular (L or R) - by default most lnbs receive linear & you can put a plastic plate in the front of the lnb (called a dielectric plate) to convert them to linear.

We don't discuss clines Etc on here, IPTV has quality issues, particularly on the bigger screens we use today plus delays & how much Internet bandwidth it uses- satellite has the highest capacity for live UHD but long term the net might improve so much it becomes more practical, but they said that about cars roads & motorways & in the UK it's a nightmare for traffic jams parking.

I am not doing satellite installs now- just giving a bit of advice now & again, my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumour, GBM, last year & given as little as 3 months so I dropped everything & have looked after her 24/7 since & tried to get her the best treatment & she's sat here 16 months on.
Best wishes for all people in the world who have been suffering from any disease. Specially best wishes to your wife.

Only a objective question. How many satellite tv channels are there in the world?any guess
Motorised Satellite->> 70 satellites >> 18000 channels >> 2000+ HD >> 3D/4k >> 96Mb/s BROADCAST STUDIO FEEDS !

Above two lines in bold are your signature. I can't beleive that 18000 channels are received. Plz explain this?i m curious

Thanks Pedro.

The number of satellites is just from the UK between 75e to 75w for ku band c band but there's also ka band. You can receive from 60 sats on ku alone on c. 1m / 3ft.

The range in Pakistan is circa
8w to 145e - beyond 75 degrees and the curve of the earth cuts the satellites off on the GSO.

The number of satellites is just from the UK between 75e to 75w for ku band c band but there's also ka band. You can receive from 60 sats on ku alone on c. 1m / 3ft.

The range in Pakistan is circa
8w to 145e - beyond 75 degrees and the curve of the earth cuts the satellites off on the GSO.
Unfortunately i couldn't understand from purplesat what i wanted to know. I wanted to be told about satellite tv related stuff in layman terms. But the more i tried to understand the more it feels the concept are getting difficult and i didn't feel good. I also want to know some books which you or anybody in this forum didn't mentioned. Its difficult but i will not give up understanding the concepts. I wanted to learn the easy way but it is not happening till now. And there is also a disadvantage for me that i couldn't do practical stuff as i live in a rented house and the future of whether how long will i live in that rented house is very unclear.

Unfortunately i couldn't understand from purplesat what i wanted to know. I wanted to be told about satellite tv related stuff in layman terms. But the more i tried to understand the more it feels the concept are getting difficult and i didn't feel good. I also want to know some books which you or anybody in this forum didn't mentioned. Its difficult but i will not give up understanding the concepts. I wanted to learn the easy way but it is not happening till now. And there is also a disadvantage for me that i couldn't do practical stuff as i live in a rented house and the future of whether how long will i live in that rented house is very unclear.

I know an awful lot of satellite enthusiasts say they've used the information on purplesat but do make sure you are on the main site for PCs, not the lite version for mobile phones and pads.

Satellite is a massive subject with so many sub subjects. It’s best IMO to start either with a small setup if you like to mess & move onto bigger dishes later when you have more idea or have a proper system installed from the start & enjoy getting the most out of a proper system.

I can't think of any books to reommend but I'm sure there's some or perhaps the online equivalent.

I'd say in your case start with a smaller dish maybe ground mounted but in your case that might mean a c band setup so a small dish would be 5-6 ft you can go smaller but you are limiting it at say 3 -4 ft

I know an awful lot of satellite enthusiasts say they've used the information on purplesat but do make sure you are on the main site for PCs, not the lite version for mobile phones and pads.

Satellite is a massive subject with so many sub subjects. It’s best IMO to start either with a small setup if you like to mess & move onto bigger dishes later when you have more idea or have a proper system installed from the start & enjoy getting the most out of a proper system.

I can't think of any books to reommend but I'm sure there's some or perhaps the online equivalent.

I'd say in your case start with a smaller dish maybe ground mounted but in your case that might mean a c band setup so a small dish would be 5-6 ft you can go smaller but you are limiting it at say 3 -4 ft
Some 2,3 days ago , Nowtv introduce that all sky sports uk channels will be in FHD (1080p). But only two channels which are Sky sports main event and Sky sports premier league are in FHD and 50 fps. Remaining 9 channels are in FHD and but will remain at 25 fps. Several questions arises. Firstly,The remaining 9 channels which are at 1080p FHD and 25 fps. Will these 9 channels, will ever in future get to 50 fps or not? This new service is known as NOWTV BOOST. I heard that currently most of the IPTV streams of sky sports uk channels are from nowtv so i want to know whether this will be the same for this new service, that 2 sky sports channels can be stream on iptv with real 50 fps and 1080p??How soon that going to happen??

Now TV will not legally be available in Pakistan so any streams on IPTV available in Pakistan are stolen from legitimate sources and will not be discussed here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom